If only I had known then, what I know now.
I wish I could go back and do it over.
I shouldn't have said those things.
Why did I do that?
If only I'd known....
Are you living your life in the past? Are you so busy looking back at past mistakes or regrets that you can't move forward? You keep replaying a situation over and over in your mind. You just can't let it go."Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past..."
Isaiah 43:18a
One day I'll buy that house I've always wanted.
When all my children are grown I'm going to....
Once I get promoted I'll be able to...
As soon as my house sells then we can...
In X amount of years I'm going to retire, then I'll...
Tomorrow I'm going to ....
I can't wait until...
What if....
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps"
(Proverbs 16:9)
"Many are the plans in a man's heart,
"Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."
(Proverbs 19:21)
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow,
for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own."
(Matthew 6:34)
Now don't get me wrong, it's OK to look back, as long as you are doing it to remind yourself of something you learned or of where God has brought you from (Romans 15:4). It is also alright to look forward with expectation and excitement. But it's not OK to let either one consume you.
It is so easy to be constantly looking back at yesterday or always anticipating tomorrow, that we forget to count our blessings that God has given us today-in this moment. We can't go back and we certainly don't know what tomorrow will bring, even though we think we can plan it all out. Life is constantly changing. All we have is right now. Make the most of it!
"Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work—this is a gift of God.
He seldom reflects on the days of his life,
because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart."
(Ecclesiastes 5:19-20)
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future."
(Jeremiah 29:11)

No comments:
Post a Comment