Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Missed Opportunities

It seems like every time I hear our new preacher speak, he shares some bizarre story of a crazy situation he was placed in. The kind of situation that can only be explained by one thing-God put him there for a reason.

Recently he was riding his motorcycle, unloading his cares of the day, not really noticing where he was going, but just driving. After a while he stopped, looked around and had no idea where he was or how to get back home. He went to a fast food restaurant to ask for directions; outside sitting on the playground was a man. He was there all by himself, just hanging out on the playground. Thad felt the Lord telling him to go outside and share the gospel. After careful consideration and a few, "Are you sure Lord? He's going to think I'm nuts!" he went and did what God told him to do.

Another time at his old church in north Georgia, he pulled up to his office early in the morning. It was a still dark outside and there was a teenager sitting outside near the parking lot. This teenager and his buddies had been out drinking all night and his friends had dropped him off on the side of the road as a joke. He had no idea where he was or how to get back home. Thad gave him a ride, and in the process, told him about Jesus.

Many years ago, Thad and his two friends were driving to play music at an event. At 3 am they got a flat tire. They pulled over to the shoulder of the road and took the tire off, propped the car up on the jack and proceeded to change the tire. Well the car shifted forward and they were in no man's land-unable to put the new tire on because the car wasn't high enough off the ground and now with a broken jack that couldn't lift it any higher. They drove the car, with the flat tire a little farther down the road to a gas station. There were two guys sitting in the parking lot in their car; no telling what they were doing at 3 am in a gas station parking lot! After the owner of the store said he couldn't help, Thad and his friends decided to ask the two guys sitting in their car. Luckily the guys had a jack and could help. One of the guys saw Thad's guitar sitting in the trunk and asked if Thad would play him a song. There they are at 3 am, in a gas station parking lot with some men changing a tire, another playing a guitar and singing and two others listening. How bizarre can you get?! After Thad finished singing he told these two guys that God loved them and sent His one and only Son to die for their sins. One of the guys said he had been dating a preacher's daughter and given how bizarre the circumstances were-he could only explain it by saying that God had sent Thad. This young man gave his life to Jesus that cool morning in a gas station parking lot!

It seems that no matter where Thad goes, God places him in a situation to minister to the lost. It makes me think back on bizarre situations I've been in or even just people I've run into throughout my everyday life. Did God put me in that situation for a reason? Did I fail Him or did I obey?

Last week my cupboards were totally bare. I had run out of excuses for going to the store. I asked my mom if she could watch my children because I knew I could not buy all the things I needed and fit my two boys in the cart! After two hours of shopping at Walmart, I was finally in the check out line. I had so much stuff the cashier had to get another cart to put everything in. While I'm loading my stuff onto the belt, the cashier and I small talk. My mind was distracted by the climbing amount of money I am spending as she scans each item. The lady behind me was obviously in a hurry. She's tapping her foot, her arms are crossed and she has a glare in her eyes. (And I'm not exaggerating!) I start to feel frazzled as I rush to unload my cart and let this lady get through. The cashier was just talking away this whole time and I'd throw in a "uh huh" or "Oh really?" as she talked. When my huge pile of stuff was almost totally rang up, the cashier starts telling me about her friend who is pregnant and doesn't know who the father is. She's refusing to get a job, plans on keeping the baby and my cashier was totally frustrated, not knowing what she could do to help her friend. I had a momentary, "OK Lord, what do I say to that? Give me the words please!" But I couldn't hear Him telling me anything to say, maybe I was too distracted or too much of a hurry to let the lady behind me get through, but I left there not telling her anything about God's love. I left there feeling like a failure.

In the upcoming days I would think about my cashier and her friend. I would come up with all these things I wanted to share with her. Things like, I don't know why this has happened, but I do know that all babies-even babies created in sin, are from God. He has a hope and a future for this child. I don't know why people like that get pregnant while other couples who would be great parents, are unable to conceive. My humanly mind cannot comprehend why. But I do know that God does not wish to hurt us or harm us. He has a plan and though it may not seem like it, it is a better way if we would only have the faith to follow Him.

So unlike my pastor, I feel like I missed an opportunity to share with this woman about God's love. The next time I am in Walmart I am going to look for her and tell her how much I have earnestly prayed for her and her friend. And maybe, just maybe God will give me a second chance to say what I should have said the first time. That is the whole reason we are on earth right? To know Him and to make Him known.

Don't miss what opportunities He might put you in today. Nothing happens by mistake. Nothing. Instead of looking at life's inconveniences, look at them as God's opportunities. What will you do for Him today?

PS~I pray my retelling of Thad's stories does them justice and I didn't botch them up too bad. It's hard remembering all the tiny details, but I think you got the main point of them :-)

No comments: