Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Beyond Your Wildest Imagination

One month ago, my husband had an intense week at work. He had to get up and leave for work every morning around 6 or 6:30 in the morning. I would get up with him and we'd sip our coffee and hot tea and enjoy the quiet in the darkness of the morning. One particular morning after he'd left, I sat in my living room and did my bible study. That week we were studying the book of Psalms. When I was finished, it was still quiet and my children were still asleep in their beds. The sun was starting to creep over the horizon. Not knowing how much time I had left until my house arose, I turned on the television. I don't normally watch TV in the mornings, unless you count Curious George and Blues Clues! I landed on a show called Adoption Tales. I do not watch these types of shows, but for some reason I was pulled into this story of a precious couple who longed to have a baby, but could not. By the end of the show, when they were able to adopt a sweet baby girl, I was practically jumping up and down in excitement for them! I thought about all the couples I know that are just like the couple in the show. Sweet, precious people whose hearts long to share their love with children of their own. It doesn't seem fair.

I turned off the television, sat in silence and reflected on what I had read about in Psalms that morning. There are so many praises to God for His wondrous creation and for all the things that we so often take for granted in our lives. I closed my eyes and praised the King of Kings for my womb, for the ability to have children. It is something I have taken for granted, seen it even as a burden at some points in my life. I thanked Him for my own sweet children and for a wonderful husband I can share my life with. I felt so overwhelmed by the blessings He has given me. So often living day to day, changing diapers, having little to no adult contact and struggling to buy food to put on the table, I forget that where I am in my life is not a burden-but a privilege and a gift.

About two hours later, the only thing I can call it is the Holy Spirit's discernment, but I got the feeling that I might be pregnant. I took a test and it confirmed what I already knew-we are going to have another baby! I cried out in joy. I knew the Lord had a plan and purpose for this little one He was creating. He loves me and knows me well enough, that He prepared my heart and opened my eyes before revealing the news. Had He not prepared me that morning, I probably would not have cried out in joy! I would have turned it into a pity party-how am I going to provide for another child? How can I homeschool with all these small children at my feet? How will there be room in my house for another baby?

What a wonderful God we serve! He knows what will happen an hour from now and He is always preparing us for what is to come. But we must do our part. How different my day would have been if I hadn't done my Bible study that morning! I could have easily slept in or wasted my free time away on some web site. By opening His word and opening my mind to the Holy Spirit, I was able to hear His message to my heart. I only wish I could remember that lesson everyday! Get up, spend time with Him and your heart will be open to His guidance all day long, sounds so simple doesn't it?

After finding out, I started praying for my husband. He was already having a stressful week at work and I never want to add to his stress. I knew we both wanted one or two more children, but we were wanting to wait about a year or so before trying. He was very adamant about having our almost three year old totally potty trained before adding another child in diapers! I prayed all morning that the Lord would show me when to tell him and how to share with him my news.

He came home for lunch that day, like he usually does. After we were finished eating, our three children were running in circles around our house and my husband would tickle them as they ran by. He grabbed my hand, looked me in the eye and said, "Marion, I am so glad I get to come home to you and the kids everyday for lunch. It makes my day so much better, knowing I have yall to come home too!" I smiled, knew that was God's cue and said, "Well, you want me to tell you a secret?" He got a 'deer caught in the headlights' look on his face and then I said, "You're going to have a fourth blessing to come home to everyday!" After the shock wore off, he wrapped me in his arms and told me how excited he was. Then he proceeded to grab our 16 month old and tell him that he was going to be a big brother! He knew Will could keep our secret!


Tomorrow I go to the doctor for the first time. The funny thing is, I just went the beginning of August for a routine check up and my doctor told me that I probably would not be able to conceive a baby for about a year, due to different reasons! Two weeks later, I took that positive pregnancy test! Just goes to show you that God has a plan that our minds cannot conceive. We can make all the plans in the world, but in the end, His ways will come to pass! How much easier our lives will be if we will only take that time to walk with Him, to look around and praise Him for all the many blessing in our lives. It is so easy to see the cup as half empty instead of half full. Don't miss His best for your life just because you are trying to do things your way, in your timing. His plan is so much greater than your wildest imagination!


"But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise You more and more.
My mouth will tell of Your righteousness, of Your salvation all day long,
though I know not its measure.
I will come and proclaim Your mighty acts, O Sovereign Lord;
I will proclaim Your righteousness, Yours alone.
Since my youth, O God, You have taught me,
and to this day I declare Your marvelous deeds."
Psalms 71:14-17

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Congrats! That's wonderful!