Thursday, September 4, 2008

Flying Solo

My sister Kelsey wrote my daughter a letter today. At the bottom of the card it said, "Cool Bible Verse: My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress. I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:1-2

It's funny how sometimes you do things and you never know just how much of an impact it will have. I'm sure Kelsey just added that at the bottom of the page and didn't think much about it. I have to tell you, it blessed me. Lately I feel so tired and so behind in everything. My house needs to be cleaned, I have articles I need to submit, I'm behind in my Bible Study, I have many unfinished posts for this blog; on and on my list could go. I feel like I'm struggling to keep my head above water at times. This verse sums up what my focus should be...and what it hasn't been these past few days. With Him as my Rock and my salvation, I should not be shaken. Most importantly, if I can only find rest in Him alone, maybe there's a reason I feel so restless.

The past week and a half, my husband has been leaving for work really early and hasn't been able to come home for lunch like usual. Instead of getting up and reading my Bible, I've been getting up, sipping coffee and spending time with him. I justify it, as my only time to see him until dinnertime. I have enjoyed our time watching the news and having conversation without children interrupting. But, my patience and my resolve has suffered too. I haven't been doing anything wrong by spending that time with the one I love, but I should also be making time for the other One I love too. It is simply not enough for me to just pray throughout my day. When I go a few days without reading His Word and spending that quiet time in prayer, my whole life suffers. My resolve is weakened and I can't fight back the enemy. I wonder why I am so tired until I realize it's because I've been fighting an army all day long-all my myself. I've been trying to handle situations and worry and change things that I cannot; things I need to give over to Him and quit doing it all. It amazes me how He'll open my eyes to my mistakes, to the real reality of what's going on...and how He'll embrace me and let me start all over again tomorrow. Grace, grace, marvelous grace...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man oh man. Marion, will you tell me when the house next door goes on the market?
That verse has been huge for me since i was preggo with Evan, and it still works on me on a regular basis. Funny how i sometimes get an attitude with God and think things like, "i don't know if it makes any difference in my life that i'm a Christian." Then i go a few days without spending quality time with Him, and BOY DO I SEE A DIFFERENCE!