I have come to the conclusion that sleep is no longer an option in my house. Last night I slept for 45 minutes straight before one of my boys woke me up. It was all down hill from there until 5:30 am when we were up for the day. As soon as one would get to sleep, the other immediately would wake up. This has been going on for a week now. Today at lunch Wesley said, "I can't even remember what a full 6 hours of sleep feels like-let alone 8 hours! We are doing good to get 2 hours of continuous sleep!"
It got me thinking, when was my last night of good rest? Isn't that how life is? You get in a rut and its hard to see out of it or remember what life was like before you got there. You start to wonder, is it ever going to end!
I jokingly talk about a "no-sleep rut", but on a serious note, it may be a financial rut or a relationship rut or an emotional rut...so many things that drag us down and threaten our peace. What do we do when we get down in that small valley? What happens when you feel all the light is gone and you are left in a cover of darkness? Then what?
Is it easier to praise Him when your life is going great or when its in the valley? Do you reach out to Him or shun Him, blaming Him for your problems? We all have a choice, and we all make one either way. Do you think He knows right where you are, at this given moment, as you read this? Does He know what is running through your brain RIGHT NOW?
I promise you He does. His word says He does, so it must be true. If He knows that, don't you think He knows what valley you're in right now? Better yet-He knows how you can get out of it. He can take that darkness and turn it into light. No matter how big or small-He knows and He has a purpose for it, even though you can't see it right now.
Last Sunday, a good friend of mine sang a Casting Crowns song called "Praise you in this Storm". I got chill bumps and had to fight back tears as I sang along. I went to YouTube and found the song with pictures from the war we are fighting right now. It reminded me of my Sept 11th post, talking about wearing the full armour of God. I have attached the video at the end of this post. As you watch it, think of your own battle. That's you in those pictures. You may not be wearing full camo and desert gear with a gun in your hand, but you have your belt of truth around your waist, your breastplate of righteousness and your shield of faith, "which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one" (Eph 6:16) and most important, that is no gun in your hand, it is the Word of God, which is more powerful than any weapon.
As we are almost in the middle of November, I am constantly reminded of being Thankful. Holidays are special times for me and I really try my best to get my heart and mind into the reason for why we celebrate. I find myself being thankful for the storms in my day. We are to praise Him in the best of times...and the worst of times. How awesome it is to extinguish those flying arrows together, fighting side by side. You are not alone and He has not left you. Keep your eyes fixed on Him and He'll help you win any battle.
How thankful I am to serve such a powerful God who loves me enough to send His Son to die for me.
Praise You in This Storm
words by Mark Hall/music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms
I was sure by now, God, that You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.
Chorus:
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away
Chorus
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
Chorus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Isn't it amazing to think that God knows exactly where we are? WOW!!
Thanks b/c once again, you've written (or typed) that words I needed to hear!
By the way, Steve and I are jealous of the gorgeous trees at Cooper Creek park. We miss how beautiful Ga. is!
Post a Comment