Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Lessons Learned in the Midst of Sickness


I confess, I am a horrible blogger this week! Thank you to everyone who keeps checking and having faith that eventually-I'll write again! My excuse for slacking off is two sick children. Any time I have away from them has been spent playing catch up. Catching up on laundry, cleaning, paying bills...you get the idea.

It was one week and two days ago that my oldest son first woke up with a small fever. I thought nothing of it because it went away after a few hours. Over the next few days we found out he had a double ear infection...Monday we found out that my 6 month old has the infamous RSV virus...and its gone on from there. Doctors appointments everyday, breathing machine every 4 hours, long, congested, sleepless nights and on and on.

Despite all the chaos, there are a few life lessons I have learned these last few days that I can apply to all areas of my life.

1. The world keeps on going even though your world is currently on pause. If it doesn't have to do with runny noses and chest congestion-I don't know anything about what has been going on in the news these last few days. I will talk to people and hear about where they are going for Thanksgiving, what they bought their child for Christmas...and I think-Thanksgiving...is THIS week? How can that be? I can't imagine getting to go shopping right now! You mean aside from the Wal-Mart pharmacy, everything else is opened...and on sale? And I'm missing it!?!

2. Enjoy the little time you do get by yourself. Like for instance, sitting at the Wal-Mart pharmacy for 45 minutes waiting for prescriptions. I decided to go grab a magazine and catch up on my celebrity news (real productive right?!?). Despite feeling a little guilty sitting there while my husband was at home with our sick children, I learned a lot of useless knowledge that I came home and shared with him. I enjoyed those 45 minutes instead of getting frustrated and wishing they would hurry up. I found myself almost a little disappointed when they finally called my name!

3. Don't wish your time away. In the wee hours of the morning as I sat on my bathroom floor, holding a mask with medicine steaming out of it, up to my sons face, I found myself thinking, "I will be so glad when this is all over and we can get back to normal!" As soon as the thought formed in my mind I was reminded of a conversation I had with a friend of mine earlier that day. She was telling me how 17 years ago, her 3 month old niece died from the RSV virus. She was born in November, premature and died in January. Whenever I hear a story like that it stays with me and burdens my heart. I'm not worried about that happening to my son, but it sure made me realize how precious time is with my children-even at 4 o'clock in the morning. Instead of wishing this time away, I should be thankful for it. I need to hold my children close and love that they need me so desperately instead of wishing they'd sit by themselves. As the old saying goes-when you're sick, there's no one like your mama to make you feel you better! They instinctively know this-even at 6 months of age!

4. Coffee and peanut m&m's were made for such a time as this! I believe they are God's gift to help awake my senses and keep functioning. More importantly, to help with my patience and sanity!

5. Don't be ashamed to ask for help when you need it. Randol has been looking forward to not having school so she can play with her friends who usually have homework to do in the afternoons when they come home from school. She went to three different kids houses and none of them could play. They were either leaving for vacation or not at home. She came inside and started crying telling me how upset she was. I was in the middle of paying bills and trying to hurry because Will had started screaming. Foster starts pulling on my pants leg, screaming at the top of his lungs and before I knew it-I was in tears. I couldn't take it any longer-the crying, the runny noses, the cranky attitudes. And I was having a "guilty mom "moment. I knew I should have enough love and selflessness inside of me to grab up my children and hug them and kiss their tears away.

But I couldn't do that.

Not then.

I did the only thing I knew to do-I picked up the phone, called my husband-no answer. I called my mom-answering machine. I actually said out loud, "Please Lord, let someone answer!" I called Wesley back and he answered. By that time, I was in tears and couldn't talk. All I could make out was-"Are you going to get to come home from work early today?" I felt stupid. I should be able to handle my own children. But all I knew in that moment was-I needed reinforcements! It worked out where Wesley did get to come home early and go to the doctors office with me and the kids-what a blessing!

6. Just when you think you can't handle it anymore-you get a break. After hanging up the phone with my husband, the kids were still crying, but I felt a little better. I decided that it would be a good time to finish the movie we had started the night before. What would you know-in about 10 minutes the crying stopped and I was sitting in my living room watching a movie. I think the Lord knew-I'd had all I could handle! All I needed was a little peace and quiet-if only for a moment!


7. God is here with me and has never left my side. I have been slacking in my morning Bible reading. After going a few days without reading I picked it back up and what would you know, I could pick up where I left off and it was like no time had passed at all. His Word is there, unchanging and true whether we are reading it or not. He is here, whether we acknowledge Him or not. We have the power of the Holy Spirit at our fingertips, all we have to do is cry out to Him!

It has been a wild ride and according to the doctor yesterday, it may still be a while before my children are 100% better. The next time I feel like I can't stand it any longer-I may have to come back and read this post! I know that Lord has a reason for all things under heaven and I have to trust that He is in control. I am so glad I have reinforcements anytime-all I have to do is cry out to Him and He'll be there!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Oh, Marion. What a good attitude you are trying to have! When I saw the picture of the nebulizer, I knew right away that probably means a 15-20 minute breathing treatment 3 or 4 times a day. I began calucalting how you would work that into a breast-feeding schedule and a home school schedule... not to mention feeding 3 kids (if the baby eats table food... that's a whole other mess!) as well as feeding yourself and Wesley. I started feeling stressed out thinking about all of that even though it's not my life!

Here's a thought... Praise the Lord you didn't get a job! I don't know how you're managing as it is!

Love, Samantha