Saturday, December 15, 2007

Super Fun Christmas Craft

Keri, (Wesley's sister) and I made these fun scented ornaments with our children last week. I must admit, I was surprised by how good they turned out! I am going to put one in each of the box of goodies for my neighbors. They smell SO good (like cinnamon). Wesley kept asking if he could eat the cookies, because that's what they look like! It's a fun craft for all ages, my niece helped and she just turned 20 months and Randol made them and she's 8! Pull up your sleeves and get ready to have some fun!


Scented Ornaments
1 Cup of regular applesauce (not chunky variety)
1 1/2 Cups of ground cinnamon
1/3 Cup of glue
Assorted cookie cutters
drinking straw
Colored Ribbon

1. In a mixing bowl, stir together ingredients. Form mixture in a ball, wrap in plastic and cover for 30 minutes or so until "dough" stiffens.

2. Sprinkle more cinnamon on a cutting board or waxed paper and turn the dough onto it (we skipped this step and it was fine!) Roll the dough with a rolling pin about 1/4 in thickness (if its thinner than that the ornaments will be too fragile). You can coat the rolling pin with cinnamon if the dough sticks to it.

3. Cut out decorative shapes with assorted cookie cutters. Randol and I used a toothpick to write out "2007" on them. (just another idea!) Use a plastic straw to make a hole through the top center.

4. Let the ornaments air dry, laying on wax paper. It took about 48 hours for ours to dry.

5. Once they are completely dry, tie a ribbon through the hole!

No comments: