Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Loves of Our Lives

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you.
Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands,
you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands
and remain in His love.
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you
and that your joy may be complete."
John 15:9-11
Who do you love? There are many obvious people you can think of I'm sure-your spouse, your children, your best friend, your pet. Who else? I love to see people smile when I pass them in the grocery store aisle. I love to see the older women in my church reach across generational lines and give me a hug on Sunday mornings. I love it when I see a father hold his child. I love to see someone doing something they are passionate about. I love seeing a man hold a door open for a woman. I love to see a grandparent embracing their grandchild. I love to see my daughters eyes light up every Christmas season as we pull into Wesley's parents driveway and she sees their yard decorated in lights.

What things do you love to smell? I love waking up to the smell of coffee. I love the way a campfire smells in the fall time. I love the way the air would smell when my Grandpa would cook ribs on the grill. I love the smell of my mother's homemade rolls. I love the smell of Gain laundry detergent. I love the smell of Pizza Hut pizza! I love the way the air smells so fresh right after it rains. I love the smell of a flower garden when its blossoms are all in bloom. I love the way a baby smells right after they take a bath.

What kinds of things do you love to do? I love it when I wake up early, feeling refreshed and I can sit in the quiet of my house and read my Bible. I love teaching my children new things and seeing their eyes light up when they start to understand. I love watching my children grow older with my husband. I love walking in the park and watching God's beautiful nature play out before me. I love to write and to go to ladies bible study. I love to bake cookies with my daughter and listen to her tell me all about the things going on in her life that I might have missed. I love holidays when my whole family is home and we can simply enjoy each others company. I love to sit on the couch in my living room and watch the red cardinal perch on my back fence. I love doing pottery and making something out of clay and turning it into something beautiful. I love to take pictures and try and freeze those special moments in time forever.

What kinds of things do you love to feel? I love to feel my husband's warm hand in mine. I love to feel his hand on the small of my back as he guides me into a room. I love to feel the soft, cuddly pj's as I hold my child. I love the way your hair feels so soft right after you wash and dry it. I love the feel of crisp, clean blue jeans. I love the way a hot cup of hot chocolate feels on a cold day. I love the feel of my son's soft skin, on my face. I love how you feel when you finally take that plunge of faith and surrender to the Lord-it's the best kind of weight loss!

This is just a small glimpse of so many things that I love about life; to name everything would take all day. There are so many things that we have right at our fingertips to enjoy. I need to do this everyday to remind myself of just how many blessings I do have. So often our minds are focused on what we wish we had or on what someone else has, that we take for granted all the blessings we do have.

This Valentines Day, remember love doesn't just come from God-He is love! As you look around at your life, all the ins and out's of it-thank Him for all the loves in your life. Since He is the source of love-all of those things are His gifts to you this Valentines Day! How unworthy I am to be loved so much!


"Jesus replied, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself."
Matthew 22:37-39

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love having you as a friend and seeing you across the room with your warm smile that says, "I'm glad we're friends!".
Happy Valentines day to you and yours. God was so loving to let me live here in this time and space so I can hav a friend like you!
V