Webster defines the word "memorize" as "to commit to memory". It's that simple. What things can you recall without needing to go to another source? It is amazing to me how the Lord made our minds. It is like there is a small computer right on top of our head at our disposal whenever we need it. So if I can memorize, or "commit to memory" all kinds of birth dates and statistics of my children being born. If I can remember how to drive to the government building downtown or when my doctors visits are or a whole number of things...wouldn't you think I could remember a few scripture verses?
I have been discussing my desire and my need to know His word by heart and I got this great idea. What if I challenged you as well and we could be accountable to each other to memorize just one or two verses a week? It may be intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be amazed at how easy it is. Every Monday I will put up a new verse to memorize that week. If you will commit with me to learn it, email me or post a comment. You can remain anonymous if you'd rather, it doesn't matter to me. Just knowing I'm not alone and that there is someone else out there with an index card, studying the same verse as me, will keep me accountable! If there is a verse that has meant a lot to you or that you feel is important in learning, please share it with me.
James tell us that we are not to "merely listen to the word, and so deceive ourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it-he will be blessed in what he does." (James 1:22-25)
God promises us that by learning His perfect law (the Bible) that we will be free and when we live out His Holy word, obeying it, we will be blessed. How cool is that? I encourage you to join me in this endeavor! I know it will be a blessing to us both!
Week 1: June 30, 2008
"For the word of God is living and active.
Sharper than any double-edged sword,
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12

1 comment:
I have also been feeling convicted to memorize more scripture. As I watch the news and the change occuring in what is PC, I can certainly imagine a time when we may need to have it in our hearts!
Post a Comment