Monday, August 11, 2008

It's Not About Me

This morning I woke up, sleepy, but excited. Today we begin another school year. I made sure to wake up with plenty of time to soak up His word and pray before my children woke up. I knew that to make it through any homeschooling day, I need to rely on His patience and guidance! The Lord has really placed a few of my friends on my heart. Some of them are sending children off to school for the first time, others are sending their children to a new school in a new city; all of them excited, but like me, a little apprehensive. This morning I was lead to read in the book of 1 John. The Lord reminded me of an important fact that I already knew, but had forgotten. 1 John 1a and 3 says, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!...Everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure."


God loves not only me, but my children more than I ever could. I must hope in Him, not just wish things would happen, but have unshakable confidence in His promises. That confidence in Him will keep me pure of losing my patience, getting frustrated, losing my temper and on and on my list goes of the daily sins I give into! It is so hard as a mother to understand how anyone could love your child more than you do, but God does. How comforting as a mother to know that the God of the universe is watching over and protecting my children when I cannot be there.


Yesterday I was also reminded of an old verse my heart needed to hear. Galatians 2:20 says, "For I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives with in me. The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God who loves me and gave Himself for me."

I sat and repeated that verse over and over again, letting it seep into my soul until tears threatened to come. It puts everything in perspective. This life isn't about me, it's about Christ. This day isn't about choosing the right textbooks or signing my children up for the right activities; it's not about grammar and addition facts and all those things I get so wound up in making sure I teach my daughter. Today is also about teaching my children about His love and His grace and about building their character. It is about preparing them not just for the college, working world, but for the kingdom of God. Knowing that it is Christ that lives within me, enabling me to do it all, (its not just Marion trying to figure it all out on her own)...makes the task sound a lot easier!


Stand on those promises and feel His hugs today. Let Him lavish you with His love and lead you as you put your hope in Him. I promise you, the road will be a little straighter and the load will feel a lot lighter!

No comments: