Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Hours of the Day

On Saturday, my husband and I attended a Sunday School Leadership Conference at our church. There were many great things the guest speaker talked about, but the following is what really stuck with me.


If you are lucky enough to get 8 hours of sleep each night, then you are awake for roughly 16 hours of the day or 112 hours a week. That sounds like alot doesn't it! Now, how many of those hours are you spending in the Word and in prayer? If you only attend church once a week and never pick up your Bible any other time, you are getting about 40 minutes of spiritual nourishment versus 111 hours of being in the world. That is 111 hours of non stop, spiritual attack.


I had never thought about it like that before. If you do read your Bible and spend time in prayer everyday for roughly an hour, that still leaves about 15 hours a day. It makes me step back and ask myself, am I strong enough? Am I covered? Is my armor on and ready for battle? What are you doing to protect yourself from the evil one? He is there watching and waiting whether you know it or not.


Everyday about 10:30 in the morning, I will get hungry. It doesn't matter that I ate breakfast, what matters is that my body needs more nourishment to keep it going. If all your doing is going to church every week, its not enough. Your spirit (and your Heavenly Father) desperately hungers for more.


Deuteronomy 11:18-20 says, "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates..."


Do you pray throughout your day as every little frustrating event happens? Do you praise Him for the blessings you see around you? Are you being faithful to Him by what you put in your body; by the things you watch on TV and the music you listen too? More importantly, are you mindful of His presence in your life and are you using your talents and your gifts for His glory?


Go today, and begin to live out this verse! Make satan say, "Oh no-she's awake!" when you fall out of bed tomorrow morning!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wanted to share with you my exciting news. The editor that I sent an article to, many months ago, emailed me a contract this morning to sign and I will be an official, paid and published author by the end of this month! God is SO good! It is not by my own merits, but by His grace that this was accomplished! I know what article I'm to submit next, we'll see what happens...

2 comments:

Terri said...

Great post! You're so right. So many times I'm convicted about not spending enough time praying and reading the Bible, yet so often it's easy to overlook it because I allow life to get in the way.

Congratulations on being published. Will your article be available to the public at large so we can read it? :)

Lori said...

Congrats on your work being published. I always enjoy reading your blog b/c it's like a devotional for me. I'm not great at commenting but I do check it often. Let us know when/where to check out your work.