Monday, November 3, 2008

My Heart

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

So...tomorrow is the day we've been waiting for, and dreading all at the same time, for months now. What people do tomorrow by checking a tiny box, will help decide America's fate for the next four years. I have been anticipating this day for so long. My husband and I have talked about it so many times, I wouldn't be able to count.


My husband works in a position that is controlled by elected officials, so while our eyes have been on the Presidential election (which is a much bigger deal), our hearts have also kept a close eye on our local candidates that are running for election/re-election. Many, many months ago, when I started praying for the upcoming election, I would pray for certain candidates to be re-elected/elected. I would plead with God to elect or re-elect certain people. One morning, I felt the Lord asking me if I could tell Him the future. Did I know what would happen if my prayers were answered and certain people were in office? I came to realize that my prayers were all wrong. I should be not be praying with an attitude of almost telling God who to put in these elected positions, I should instead pray for His will to be done, no matter what that means. His will is so much better than what my limited knowledge knows right now, in this moment. He knows the future and what is best for me and my family and more importantly, for this great nation.


My heart has been prayerful and my eyes continue to look towards heaven as I wait to see what His will is. No poll can tell me the future, and no wishing can change it, but I do have control over my heart. I can create in me a clean heart, free of bitterness and worry and stress. Worrying over what happens tomorrow cannot change what will be.


Yesterday, at the end of the church service, I felt so convicted of my own sin. I have been angry at certain people that I should be reaching out to in love. I have been bitter over certain situations I could not change. I have been short tempered and not getting things done that I knew I should do. I made excuse after excuse for myself, without even realizing I was making them. So often we forget that small things like worry or resentment or anger are a sin. A sin is anything that separates you from God. Anything. I sang the offertory hymn and gave it all away. I was washed in the blood of the Lamb, once more. I was ready to wake up and start anew; beginning each day with hope and anticipation for what He'll do in my life and for what plans He has for me. I cannot be in His will or be used by Him, if I am living my life on my own, doing my own thing.


I encourage you to ask Him what is separating you from Him today. Once He shows you, ask for forgiveness and be free from the burden you have been carrying. It is that easy, all you have to do is ask and He promises in His word that He will take your sins and make you as white as snow (Isaiah 1:18). Jesus once said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28-29). Just give it to Him and find the peace you are searching for.


In Psalms 18:31-32 it says, "For who is God besides the LORD ? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect." Start tomorrow standing on the Rock of your salvation and leaning on His strength and no matter what happens with this election, He will make your ways perfect. He is still on the throne as the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. How I pray that I will remember to not put my trust in anything but the name of the Lord my God.


Last thing, I encourage you to never cease praying for this country and for His will in your life. James 5:16b, which is one of my favorite verses, says"The prayers of a righteous man is powerful and effective." Your prayers do count and they do matter to the Father of the Heavenly lights!

Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
Psalms 20:7

No comments: