Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sittin' In My Abba's Lap


For the last three years, we have been blessed to get a professional picture of our family at extremely discounted prices. There is a well known photographer in town who takes all the homeschoolers pictures and then makes a year book for them (of the school aged children). I know when I look back on these pictures it will bring a smile to my face as I see how fast my family is changing.

When your children are young, they go through stages that you think will never end and then before you know it, the stage has passed and they are into something else. So often you don't even realize the change has occurred. I once read an article that talked about how as parents, we write down all our children's "firsts"; their first steps, their first tooth, their first school dance, etc. yet, we never really notice all the "lasts". When was the last time you brushed their teeth or read them a story. As they get older and move out of the house, when was the last time you gave them a hug, asked about their day or wrote them a letter. Your role as a parent may change as you go from changing their diapers to releasing them out into the world, but the love you have for them never changes. As Welsey's mom tells him, "You're still my baby!" My friend Victoria, who is also the mother of five children always says, "Motherhood is not for wimps!" and I'd have to agree. It is so much fun to watch your children grow and learn new things. It is also heartbreaking when you have to see them go their own way and make mistakes. It is our job as parents to teach them in the way they should go, but it is up to them which road they will ultimately choose.

So often we forget that God is more than just the creator of heaven and earth, He is also our Abba! Romans 8:15b-16 says And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. He is our Daddy! What a privilege to be able to call Him that!

He knows every first you ever had. The first time you asked Him to be your Lord and Savior, the first time you told someone about Him, the first time you had faith to follow His will. He is watching you right now to see which road you will choose. Not to see if you'll mess up, but so that He can cheer you on and help you, when you follow His will.

In those times when you have left His side, He has grieved for you. I love it when Jesus says in Matthew 23:37b, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem...how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." I love that picture of Him protecting His children and loving us just as a mother hen would do with her baby chicks. I wonder how many times I have broken His heart by not letting Him. Thankfully, just like the when the Prodigal son's father threw a huge party with the best food and wine when his lost son finally came home, our Abba also celebrated when I came home to Him once again.

Never forget that you have a Heavenly Daddy who loves you and adores you very much. He longs to spend time with you and to heal your hurts. He longs for you to crawl up into His lap so He can sing you a lullaby. One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Zephaniah 3:17, The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing. When is the last time you crawled up into your Abba's lap? Don't put it off for another second! He longs to hold you in His arms and tell you He loves you.
The first picture is from 2006, when Randol was in 2nd grade and Foster just turned 1. The second is in 2007, Randol is in 3rd grade, Foster just turned 2, Will is 5 months old. I'm sure you guess the last family picture, it's from this year, 2008, where Randol is in 4th grade, Foster is 3 and Will is 17 months. Foster would not cooperate this year to get his photo taken, that is why there is not one of him by himself! I'll take what I can get, when they are his age! It is neat to think that next year we'll have another little one in our family photo!