I was blown away. She didn't ask that God would give them peace in the midst of this trial, she didn't say for God to comfort them or any of the other things I personally would have thought to have prayed for. She prayed specifically and more importantly, she prayed expectantly. I could actually picture in my mind a family in a minivan driving down Clint's road, seeing the For Sale sign and calling the number on the sign. I could picture it all in my head as she spoke the words.
In Psalm 5:3, it says, "In the morning, O Lord, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before You and wait in expectation."
Wait in Expectation.
Jesus Himself said, "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mark 11:24)
Believe that you have received what you asked for.
How often do we do those two things? And why is it so hard to do?
In Sunday School last Sunday we were talking about how important it is to pray God's Word. What a powerful weapon when we actually pray His Words back to Him. One man commented how prayer is one of the hardest things for him to do. It's easy to sit and read your Bible, but to find a place, away, alone to pray, that is hard. I started thinking about how I pray all day long, in the midst of the chaos in my house. But it is more like a one way conversation. I don't listen for His voice and I don't wait long enough for an answer.
So often when I see a hard situation I don't pray for the big things. I don't pray that God will get rid of the cancer, I pray that He will give them peace in the midst of this trial. It's almost as if I don't believe that He really can get rid of cancer. satan's small voice whispers in my ear that it's an impossible situation and I should just accept it. Instead, I should remind myself what Jesus told His disciples in Matthew 19:26, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Even the angel told Mary that, "Nothing is impossible for God." (Luke 1:36)
Nothing.
Let those truths seep into your very soul and pray those things that seem impossible in your life. Pray for complete healing, pray for a new job, pray for a buyer for your house, pray for all the things that look hopeless in your life. Allow the world to see your Mighty, All-Powerful God turn a hopeless situation into His glory. I have found in my own life that it is in those situations that others can see God so much more clearly. When man cannot explain how things happen, they are more likely to recognize God's power.
A Prayer Based off of Colossians 1:9-14
"Lord, I pray that you will fill me with the knowledge of Your will and that You will give me spiritual wisdom and understanding. Help me to live a life worthy of You and that every aspect of my life will be pleasing to Your sight. Help me to bear fruit in every good work, grow in Your knowledge and be strengthened with Your power. I ask these things so that I might have endurance and patience and be able to joyfully give thanks to You. Lord it is You who invited me to share in Your inheritance and be apart of the kingdom of light. It is You who rescued me from darkness and brought me to Your Son. Thank you for redeeming me
and forgiving me of my sins.
In the Sweet name of Jesus, Amen"

2 comments:
Thank you for "spuring" me on! Yes, do we REALLY believe in the ONE we call on?
I heard a missionary one time encourage us in praying. She used the acronymn RICE, Pray regularly, Intelligently (according to the specific need, like the lady did)
Creatively (someone would drive down the road)
and EXPECTANTLY Just like your kids waiting on the Chocolate Chip cookies to come out of the oven!
It is a blessing to know that our Father knows what we need EVEN before we speak!
Love you my friend!
V
AMEN!
Post a Comment