Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Bad Habit

I have a bad habit and it consumes me with guilt at times.

My crime-not finishing what I start. I have about four half read books laying around my house. My sons rooms has clothes piled high on his dresser from when I started to box up his outgrown clothes and I never finished. Every year on my children's birthday's I write in a journal. I tell them every silly thing they said or did that year. Foster-well he's been two for 5 months now and I still haven't written in his this year. I will write letters, only to find them a month later sitting on a shelf having never been mailed. I started to read my daughter a long chapter book last summer and never finished. If you look around my house right now, you will see an entertainment center piled with picture frames from where I started to take down old pictures to replace them with new ones-only I haven't replaced them yet. I'm still waiting to get up the energy to order the pictures I want. I have a wardrobe full of half finished sewing, crocheting and knitting projects. What I don't understand is, when I was in the "working world," I was always consumed by "getting the job done!" Why can't I be this way at home? I'm still in the "working world" just a different line of work!

"Why am I like this?" I often ask myself. It is not a good example for my children (that is where most of my guilt comes from). Luckily, in this area of life, I have a polar opposite as a husband. He makes our children finish whatever book they have started-even if they get two chapters into it and find they hate it. Every Saturday, they clean their room on routine, not having a chance to start to pick up and then walk away. Our daughter knows before cracking open a book or starting a project-she must finish it. She takes more time to ask herself if its something she really wants to do-while I just follow whatever my heart says that day.

There have been so many times where I have been reminded of something else I need to go finish and I feel so guilty. Why am I so easily distracted and unable to finish the simplest of things? In the midst of feeling like such a failure, the Lord reminded me-He is not like that with me. He doesn't give up on me if I get too stubborn or boring or if something else more interesting comes along. He doesn't cast me aside to the reject pile when I stray too far from Him. I will never be put in a closet full of half finished projects like myself; nor will I ever be placed on some "To Do" list.

His Word promises us in Philippians 1:6, "being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Oh thank you Jesus! How I will strive to be more like You and less like my sinful nature. Thank you for loving me despite all of my many faults.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, am I sooooo like this that I am laughing outloud as I type! I've been stricken with the same plight. Even as I read your blog and respond I have a bizillion other things I am to be about. Oh well, they will be their when I am done!(unfortunately)
Thank God He doesn't have this ADD when it comes to us! Yes, He who began a good work will bring it to completion! No side tracks! Although, I wonder at times.
You are so blessed that your husband is the way he is and that he completes you! Just remember you have beauties that he doesn't possess rounding him out! What a beautiful picture,eh?
I am so grateful for a loving Father who delights in me, rejoices over me and that holds me close to His heart, all the while!
You share words from your heart that minister to mine, for that I am deeply greatful! Now, let us finish the "Next best thing", mine is a cup of coffee. Hey, I will finish something. As a wise woman once said "Don't let the not given, spoil the given!" (Elisabeth Elliot, I believe)
In His watchful,loving eye,
Victoria

Anonymous said...

Marion,

THis is one of my favorite posts. It notes how real you are while being ever so faithful. I suggest this being one of your posts that you submit to publishers.
You make great connections and analogies between everyday life and biblical lessons. THey are so easy to read, yet they leave me perplexed over things I would not have thought about otherwise. I will look through some old ones and try to pick out some other favorites. I usually leave a comment when they blow me away, so that might help too.
I am so excited for you and also your new readers out there who will soon be enlightened by your words. Keep it up Marion, Full SPEED AHEAD! You are awesome!

Em