Sunday, June 6, 2010

No More To-Do's

Last week cleaning out a drawer in my kitchen, I found an old To Do list. Judging from the list, I'm guessing it was from the week of Randol's slumber party. It had things on there like, pick up goodie bags, find the best deal on pizzas, go to the craft store, buy ice cream, call about the cake etc. Looking at it, I easily remembered how stressed I was to get everything done-which I did manage to do, somehow. That was two months ago, yet it feels like it was only yesterday.

I have always been a list person. When I was in college and I'd get bored listening to some professors lecture, I'd start making a list of goals for that week. The funny thing is, so many times I would put things on there that I had already done just so I could feel a sense of accomplishment when I was able to cross off something! Mind games I guess.

The first few photo shoots I did, I would carry a small index card in my back pocket. On it, I would have a list of 3 to 5 different poses. It was my crutch. It was what I needed to get my creative juices flowing and the rest would stem from there. In so many of the photography books I've read the authors encourage you NOT to make a list. So often when we have a list, it is easy to just go line by line and miss other great photo opportunities. It is usually the non-posed, non-standard shots that end up being my favorite-the shots that would never have been listed on an index card in my back pocket.

A couple of weekends ago we were pulling into our driveway, coming home from the pool. My mind was swimming with To Do's-baths, start dinner, do a load of laundry, bedtimes etc. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a flower in my small garden. My heart skipped a beat and I said out loud,"I think Gramma's flowers are in my garden!" I jumped out of the van and ran to see. I was right! There in my yard were two of my Gramma Nance's favorite flowers. How on earth did they get there? I certainly hadn't planted them and I have never seen them in Lowe's or anywhere else that I buy plants. I am not sure what kind of flowers they are, but I do know they were my Gramma Nance's favorites. After she died and I had Foster, my Grampa brought me a big bouqhet of "Gramma's Favorite Flowers". For my 30th birthday a few months ago, my mom did the same. The only thing I can think of is, when I dumped out the vase of dead flowers after my birthday, some must have taken root and are now blooming in my yard. When I told my mom she was amazed and said, "Aww Marion, it's like she's smiling down on you saying hello!"

I often think about those flowers. If they hadn't caught my eye that day, I wonder how long it would have taken me to notice that they were even there. I am so scheduled, so busy, going line by line on my list of To Do's that days go by before I even look up.

When I found that old To Do list from March I thought about this summer. It is going to pass away fast and another school year will begin soon. I could easily waste away this time going to the pool, working, doing laundry and cleaning out closets. But in the scheme of eternity...do any of those things really matter? I decided that I want to do something BIG this summer-something that will last, something I can take with me...but what?!?

I heard about how the Middle Schoolers in our church are trying to memorize the whole book of James. I have heard of people who have memorized large portions of scripture and looked at them in amazement and wonder-and a little jealousy. I always think sadly, "I want to do something like that!" Only this time when I thought it, I heard God in His small voice whisper in my ear-"So why don't you?" That left me tongue tied. So why don't you? What is more important on some To Do list than learning God's Word? What will last longer than that? What has more meaning than THAT? I can't think of anything-can you?

This summer I have started doing just that. So far I am almost to verse 12 and for me-that is huge! I'm going to take the book section by section and see how far God takes me. I have let go of my lists, I'm not going to plan out everyday and every moment of my week. Like all those photography books say-if you live line by line-you could miss out on the really great stuff. And I don't want to miss out anymore!

I encourage you to ask God what HIS To Do list is for you this summer. I promise you, He DOES have a plan for you. Don't be so stuck to your own list, that you miss it. I know that you will be blessed more than you can imagine!

"Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city,
spend a year there, carry on business and make money."
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.
What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.
As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.
Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do
and doesn't do it, sins."
James 4:13-17

2 comments:

Amy Martin said...

Thanks Marion for your words of encouragement to us all. I always enjoy your writings and pictures. God has truly blessed you with two wonderful talents to bless others.

Anonymous said...

The flowers are alstroemerias or peruvian lilies. They grow from Rhyzomes or bulbs... so it is indeed pretty amazing that they started from spent flowers. Once established, you can divide them and move them all over your yard. They love Georgia. They handle the heat well. When clipped, they last a long time in a vase. I planted some in my first yard (bareroot) and was amazed when they came up. They are such a delicate flower to be so durable. (A lesson, I think.) Incidently, these flowers are popular with restaurants... and can be found at places like Sams.