Friday, September 14, 2007

A Look of Love

“Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”
Jesus looked at him and loved him.
“One thing you lack,” he said “Go sell everything you have and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
At this the mans face fell. He went away sad, because he knew he had great wealth.”

~Matthew 10:20-22

Jesus knew the man wouldn’t do what he said, but He looked at him and loved him anyway. He wanted the rich man to give up the one thing that was holding him back from having an intimate relationship with Him.

Jesus does that everyday to us. He looks at us with love and knows we will choose our own way, yet He still yearns for a loving relationship with us. What would Jesus tell you to give up? What is it that holds you back from being who God wants you to be? Is it fear or doubt? Maybe it’s no time and too much to do. It could be anger or resentment of something that happened in your past. It could be too much money, like the man in this story. Maybe you’re not ready to give up control, to be the follower and no longer in charge of your life.

Whatever it is-Jesus looks at you and loves you. He longs to be close to you and to have a loving, intimate relationship with you. He doesn’t want to be some “Being up in the sky,” who looks down with anger to judge every small thing you do. He wants to be your loving, caring, Father…if you’ll only let Him.

(I took this from my journal dated April 7, 2003. My issue then was letting go of fear and control of my future. I am so glad I did!)

No comments: