Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Reflecting

Vacationing with small children...I don't know if it should still be called a "vacation" its more like "the-same-stress-just-at-the-beach" trip! Don't get me wrong-we had a wonderful time, but all the things you associate with a "vacation" just didn't happen. We are homebodies who would rather not take the chance of having crying kids in a restaurant or store so we avoid those situations. I left the condo four times in ten days-three times to go to the grocery store and one time to take Randol shopping. Sleeping in and catching up on much needed rest-didn't happen! Foster slept in a big bed (versus a crib) and therefore felt it was his duty to wake up the household (and probably those people on the floor below us) between 5 and 6 am! Our "family time" at the beach everyday lasted as long as Will slept in the sling and until Foster had had enough and was ready to go back upstairs (which was usually an hour or two).


Letting go of all those tiny details-so many good things did come out of our trip! Randol got alot of one-on-one time with Wesley and I-something our other children probably won't get on future vacations. Wesley would take her way out in the waves and help her build sand castles, while I was up in the condo with the boys. I would take her to the pool or looking for seashells while Wesley was with the boys napping upstairs. We told her silly stories of when we were kids at the beach. It's amazing how much your children will tell you when you really listen and focus just on them.

My husband and I drew even closer on this trip-NOT because we had a lot of “alone time” actually it’s because of quite the opposite. Wesley even said one afternoon, “What ever happened to us sitting on the beach, holding hands while we watch the waves come in?” I just laughed! We’ll get those days back, but not for a long time! Instead, we were in survival mode, trying to make it through the day amidst sandy hands and lots of baths and cranky kids-together. We were a team, trying to ensure that we all had a good time and that we didn’t lose our minds in the process! I once heard a speaker say that raising small children is all about survival. It is just making it through the day without broken bones or losing your sanity; one day at a time, moment by moment.

I was also blessed to have a little time to myself. I love to ask God when He's going to "show up". I know He is here, all around me, all the time, but I mean one of those "WOW" moments when you know-you are in His presence. It doesn't have to be something big-it can be small. Last year when we were there, I saw three starfish in the water. I was fascinated and I knew-God sent them for me to enjoy.
By the end of our trip I hadn't had a "Wow" moment yet and I was starting to get disappointed. I thought maybe it had come and gone and I'd missed it. I would search the beach for another starfish or sand dollar. I was trying to figure God out and create situations where He'd reach out to me. I was so wrong to do that! The day before we left, Foster woke us up early again. I walked out on the deck and I was blown away by the most beautiful sunrise. It was breathe taking, better than any painting I'd seen. I knew then-He'd saved the best for last. He knew I had been searching for Him; He was waiting to catch me off guard. Seeing that amazing sky made me wonder what it looked like on my Gramma's side of heaven. The Bible says the heavens will declare His glory and boy did they ever!

Going to Myrtle Beach is more than just a vacation spot to me, so many memories of my childhood rest there. My Gramma Nance's brother and his wife own the condo. When I was in elementary school, her brother went to live in Germany because of the military and for many years let my grandparents live there. I dug in the same sand and walked along the same beach my children now run and play in. I grew up having summer romances and going shopping and spending special times with my Gramma. I remember her putting on makeup and smiling at me saying, "One day when I get old, make sure I don't put on too much makeup because I can't see what I'm doing! Promise me you won't let me walk around looking like a clown!" It seems like only yesterday she was painting my fingernails, but in reality she's been gone for two and a half years now. My Grandpa used to cook us ribs and walk along the beach with a metal detector. We'd fight over who got to go with him because he'd let us keep the treasures he found. Going to the beach was more of a reunion than anything else. My moms sister always lived far away because my uncle was in the military. We would drive up to Myrtle Beach and she'd drive down from New York or Michigan with my three cousins and we'd meet there and spend a glorious week together. We would cram twelve or so people in that tiny two bedroom condo! I'm sure we drove my Grandpa crazy, but we didn't notice!


I never imagined then, that I'd get to return one day with my own children and without my Gramma. Time flies so fast. Now my children will have special memories of a place that will always live on in my mind. I can always feel my Gramma's spirit when I'm there. She loved that place so much. If the gate to heaven is made out of only one pearl, I wonder what the beaches look like! I can see her walking along those celestial shores with the wind blowing in her hair and the seagulls flying over her head. I bet her house is built right there along the shore. In moments like this I miss her so much.

Yeah, it was a wonderful trip and a wonderful break. I know Randol will never forget it, neither will I. We are so blessed that my great aunt and uncle let us go. There is no way we'd be able to afford a trip like that right now! The Lord blesses us so much. I will treasure those days in my heart forever. I know without a doubt Wesley and I will look back and laugh again over so many silly things that happened. For instance, our first day at the beach I envisioned Will sleeping under the umbrella and me and Wesley basking in the sun, holding hands, while Randol and Foster played. It was so windy that day, that before we knew it, we are chasing the umbrella down the beach and every time we'd almost get it, the wind would pull it a little further away. It was like playing chase with the wind. When we finally got it back and walked back to the rest of our stuff, the wind got a hold of one of our chairs and we are once again running down the beach chasing a hot pink beach chair! I wish I could've seen us from afar-I bet we looked so funny!

On the car trip home, just before our stopping point to eat lunch, the kids were all asleep. We decided to seize the moment and keep driving-bad idea! Just as soon as we got out of the big city and were in the middle of no where, the boys wake up and start crying and Randol keeps reminding me its past lunchtime and she's hungry. It was mad chaos in a matter of minutes. We were hoping to eat at Arby's, but at that moment-all that mattered was not what we ate, only that we stopped! Wesley looked at me and said, "At the next exit, lets stop no matter what food they have!" We sealed our fate with that statement. As I'm telling the kids we are about to stop, we see the "Food" sign on the highway...yep you guessed it. It said "US Truck stop 24 Hour Buffet"! We both died laughing and told roadkill jokes all the way to the next exit where God blessed our patience and provided an Arby's! Life is ironic like that sometimes! Man am I glad to have someone to share my life with. I cannot imagine taking this journey without my Wesley.

Well, it has taken me all day to write this because of all that is going on! Whew! I'm tired! I hope you enjoy hearing about our trip and I didn't bore you too much! Now...on to the next adventure!

No comments: