Monday, November 5, 2007

A Few Mere Words...

On Saturday, Wesley and I went to the wedding of a dear friend who has waited a long time for her prince. As I sat there watching the two of them say their vows and then the minister pronounce them husband and wife, I was struck by how short and simple it is to become married. What changed in those few minutes to bind these people to each other for life? The beautiful bride walked down that long aisle as a single lady. A few moments later, she walked down the same aisle on the arm of her beloved, now as a married woman.

They spoke a few words in front of a few witnesses and now they are joined, in the eyes of God forever...Just a few mere words...that's all it took...

Last night at bible study we talked about how powerful God's Word is. It is God's Word's that we use to fight our battle against this dark world that we live in. It is our only weapon...a few words will drive Satan away....

We need to learn to use that sword to prepare us for battle. Jesus combated temptation with quoting scripture...with using a few words.

When Jesus hung on the cross He looked around Him and said, "Father, forgive them for they no not what they are doing."
A few words and He forgave them...He forgave us.

A few words can change your life forever when you ask Him to come into your heart to be your Lord and Savior. Your whole eternal future lies in just a few simple words.

A few words can rip apart a relationship, tear up trust and faith in a person.
They can shred your whole life long testimony in a matter of minutes.

On the other hand, a few words can heal a broken wound. Forgiveness is such a soothing balm over a ones soul, but how hard it is to say those few words.

A few words can make all the difference in every aspect of your life;
what you say at the cash register, how you greet your secretary, your tone of voice when you talk to your spouse.

Words are so powerful, a huge part of our fate lies in the things we say.

Can you believe she did that? I can't believe he said that!
Look at what she's wearing! What was she thinking?
Would you just hush your mouth?
What is your problem?
Did you hear what they did?
I would never do something like that!
She is so stupid!
Boy did she deserve what she got!

You are so beautiful! Thank you so much!
I don't know what I'd do without you.
You mean so much to me. You are special to me.
I am so thankful for you.

I love you. I hate you. I forgive you. I'm mad at you. I'm hurting. I'm sorry.

What words will you say today?
"But I tell you that men will have to give an account
on the day of judgement for every careless
word that they have spoken.
For by your words you will be acquitted,
and by your words you will be condemned."
Matthew 12:36-37

2 comments:

AbbyLane said...

i am learning JUST HOW POWERFUL His word really is...serious kind of weapon we got...mmm and we don't even use it when it's right there!! i just love shouting stuff at Satan...he is so full of mess...it is fun to punch him in the face :)

ledgesinme said...

Marian,

Good post, and a good WORD! Say hello to Zeke, Forest, and Wesley. I hope you are doing well.

Bill