Sunday, May 11, 2008

Our Two Mom's

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! My heart is heavy that I won't be able to see you today. Even though I am a mother and I still get to celebrate with my own children, there is just something special about being with your mom on a day like today.

When I think about my childhood I think about how fun it was. I remember homeschooling and having our big get-togethers where we all got to dress up like cowboys and Indians and dad made a huge bon fire. I remember all those elaborate Halloween costumes you would spend hours making by hand. More importantly, thank you for having the patience enduring my crying and complaining and changing my mind about wearing it. I remember all of our fun vacations in Myrtle Beach with Gramma and Grandpa. I remember those hot softball games you went to and cheered me on. You were my GA leader at church on Wednesday nights and most importantly, you taught me of God's love and led me to Christ as a small child. You've always encouraged me to find a passion and to stick with it, even now, you help me with my writing.

Thank you for loving me with an unconditional love. You truly live out 1 Corinthians 13 in how you love us. Thank you for all the patience and sacrifice you have given us. I know that you will always be there whether I'm having a bad day and just need a hug or whether I'm going into preterm labor and I'm really scared! You always help me keep my perspective of how temporary this stage of my life is. You offer wisdom when I need it and you are always there to support my decisions. I am so grateful that you live only a few miles away. Thank you for all your help with my children. Thank you for unexpected visits to my house when I haven't seen you in a while and for all those long phone conversations we have. You are more than just a mother, you truly are one of my best friends. I never have to worry about saying the wrong thing or doing the wrong thing, I know you love me just the way I am. Thank you so much for all you do and for who you are. I couldn't ask for a better example of how a mother should be.

Happy Mothers Day to my mother-in law, Kim. Thank you for loving me and accepting me into your family as your daughter-in-law. Thank you for adoring your grandchildren so much and for being so sweet with them. You always make a point to let them know how much you love them. One of my favorite things about you is your laugh. You have such a sweet and joyful laugh that is so contagious. It makes your eyes light up and you look so beautiful.

Thank you for raising Wesley to be such a Godly man. You taught him how to prioritize and how to keep perspective. You gave him a fun childhood full of memories with cousins and playing outside. You encouraged him in his schooling and in pursuing a law degree. You supported him financially and emotionally through every stage of his life. Thank you for all those bowls of chicken noodle soup when he was sick. Thank you for all your sweat sitting outside at his cross country meets and for all those long summer days at the Windsor Park pool. Thank you for all the time you put into teaching AWANA at church and for instilling in him a love of God's word.

I am so blessed to have found a man like Wesley. Thank you for all your hard work and all your sacrifice. I know that without all that-he wouldn't be the man that I love today. It is because of you that he is, who he is. Thank you!

No comments: