Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Grampa

One of my last memories of my grandfather was from a month ago. I had finally completed my first writing piece to submit to a publisher and I had brought it over to my moms house for her to proof read. My grandfather was there and he picked it up and started reading. I was suddenly very nervous, I was afraid of what he'd say. I sent up a silent prayer as he read it.

A few minutes later, I looked at him and he was all choked up, a tear in his eye as he handed it back to me. He looked at me with such pride in his eyes and said, "Wow Marion Rowe, you really know your Bible! That is so impressive." Before he left that day, he gave me a hug and kissed me on my forehead like he always did and said, "I'm so proud of you!"

My grandfather, John Howard Foster passed away last night around 10:20pm. My family all gathered together and did what you always do when someone leaves you for the last time-reminisce over old memories. We talked about how he grew up and where he went to college. We talked about stories he had told us from when he served in the Korean war; how he met my Gramma and what adventures he went on. We talked about funny things he'd said and how he touched each of our lives. I am always amazed at how families all gather together after a loved one dies. It's like you want to take every memory you can and share it, in hopes that you'll never forget it. Talking about them keeps them alive in your heart. It makes it feel as though that person will walk in the door at any moment and tell you another story you had never heard before.

Then you go home and try to sleep only to wake up the next morning wondering if it was all a dream or if he is really gone. As my husband left for work this morning there was a chance he may have a trial. I thought, "I should call Grampa and let him know." Grampa was always fascinated with Wesley's work and wanted to know about what different cases he had. He went down to the courtroom last time and got to see Wesley before the judge. Then I realized, I couldn't do that ever again. I didn't realize what a treasure it was, last time that he actually made it to the courthouse to watch.

Isn't that how life is though-you record every "first" that your children do as babies, but we never realize what will be the last. I take life for granted that tomorrow I will wake up and have another chance to do what is right and to make good decisions that will glorify my Lord. But what if I don't? No one is promised tomorrow. I never in a million years would have thought when my grandfather left for his 60th high school reunion, that he would never come home again. I took for granted all those mornings where I would go visit my mom and he was living next door. I am grateful that he always came to see me. He loved to watch my children grow. He would laugh when they would get into something they weren't supposed to. He loved to kiss on them and hold them. I remember asking him when one of my boys was real small, if he wanted to hold him. I didn't think he would since most men don't enjoy holding newborn babies. He looked at me and said, "Well of course I do!" and reached out his arms to cradle this tiny infant.

I will miss his smile and all those kisses on my forehead. I will miss the way he would call me "Rowe" just like he did my Gramma (Gramma and I share the same middle name). I will miss his good cooking, no one could ever cook ribs to perfection like he could. I will miss his jolly laugh that would always carry to the next room. I will miss the way he would get choked up and sentimental over the tiniest thing. I will miss the way he always made sure to buy us a gift for our birthday or for Christmas because he knew Gramma wouldn't have wanted him to forget. I will miss his stories-what adventures he went on! I'll miss hearing him talk about golf and seeing him sit on my aunts front porch and read his pile of news magazines. I'll miss...well, I'll miss alot of things about him. But, I know he loved me and was proud of me and I know that I will carry that with me wherever I go.

So, thank you Grampa for all the love and all the joy you brought to my life. You were such a blessing to me. I'll see you on the other side. I love you, high as the sky and double dooties...xxxooo


Details on the Pictures:
1. 1929, 2 years old
2. 1954, 25 years old, Korean War
3. Venice, Italy 1956, 27 years old
4. December 1959, looking at my mom and her twin sister at 2 months of age
5.Easter 1962, Casper, Wyoming, with my Gramma Nance, my mom, Uncle John and Aunt Marion
6. 2003, this picture will always remain on my mantle. It is the last good picture I have of him and my Gramma together before my Gramma got really sick with cancer. This is just a few of their grandchildren.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Marion. I love the way you wrote about it, celebrating your Granpa's life even as you mourn his loss. It made me cry.

Holly S. said...

I'm so sorry about your Grandpa, Marion. How blessed you have been to have him in your life for so long, even in your children's lives. What a beautiful story of remembrance you've written. You all will be in my prayers in the coming days.

Anonymous said...

Marion, I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandpa. I enjoyed reading about his life and what he means to you. It made me miss my own PaPa. I will remember you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I can tell you had a very special relationship with him and it makes me think of the special relationship I had with my grandfather, and how much I miss him. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lord for the given! You have such a special gift in knowing your grampa like you did. Thank you that even in his death you are sharing his life with us. While I didn't know him here, I will now know him in heaven. To everything there is a season....let this time take your heart to a place where you can curl up in your Father's lap and let Him hold you tightly.
I love you, my sister and know our God will be your comfort, I was so glad to see you write.
Sitting on His other knee,
Victoria