A few days later I was trying to decide what verse I wanted to memorize for the next two weeks. I knew that my life would be changing as I became a mother of four children over that time. I really wanted something to guide me as a mother. Then I thought of that verse. I didn't know it word for word and decided that was going to be my verse to put to memory.
On Friday night, we had just finished eating dinner. Welsey and I were sitting at the kitchen table talking while the boys ran up and down the hallway, chasing each other. I cannot get enough of hearing them laugh and play together. They would run into their room, then run in the kitchen and give me a kiss, back and forth they'd go. Not too unusual of a Friday night but...in a matter of seconds, the situation changed.
Foster turned to look back at his brother and ran full force into the corner of the kitchen counter. I saw it happen, watching helplessly. As we went to get him, he sat up and a river of blood gushed down the side of his face, into his eye, and all over his clothes. And I knew-this was bad. I grabbed a towel, handing it to Wesley who was cradling him on the floor, applying pressure to his forehead. Foster didn't cry much, he just laid there in his Daddy's arms. I called my mom and she rushed over to the house to watch our other two children. Wesley held Foster in the front seat, applying pressure to his head, while I drove to the ER. I was scared, and my heart was pounding as I tried to drive as carefully as I could, knowing my two men were not strapped into a seat belt, but wanting to hurry so that my son wouldn't lose too much blood.
As we drove, we talked about the sunshine outside, the big trucks that would pass by and what color the traffic lights were; anything to keep him calm and not be scared. When we finally arrived, we were blessed to not have to wait too long until we were called into the Triage unit. Our doctor was a nice, older man who had been a doctor for 35 years. He talked and played with Foster, trying to get him comfortable.
Then he took off the bandage they had put on his head when we first got there. You could see his reaction before he ever opened his mouth. He looked at us gravely, the sparkle in his eye was gone as he said, "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to stitch that up. It's going to hurt some, but he'll be more scared than anything else." I knew that this grown man wasn't looking forward to what was to come, which didn't make my heart as a mama feel any better.
After watching a few cartoons, it was time. Since Foster is so young, they said they would have to bind him up to make absolutely sure that he would not move. It was an important step to ensure that the stitches could be done right to prevent scarring and infection. They got a sheet and wrapped it around his body until all you could see were his tiny feet sticking out at the bottom. It was like he was in a straight jacket. They laid him on the hospital bed, got medical tape and taped it across his body, in case he squirmed. That was when he started crying. My heart broke as I couldn't do anything to calm my child's fears. They placed a cloth over half his face so that he could only see out of one eye and was angled away from the surgery. The doctor and nurses were surprised that Welsey and I didn't want to sit outside while they stitched him up. There was no way we were going to leave our little guy there alone. I was silently praying my heart out, for the doctor and nurses, for Foster not to be in pain and for his fears to be calmed. I prayed that God would give Welsey and I the strength to keep a smile on our faces and watch them stitch up his wound. To top off the drama, by this point I was having contractions every 7 minutes; not strong contractions, but enough to be a distraction. I kept telling God that I couldn't go into labor-I had to be there for my Little Man. I love when we think we can tell God what is best for us!
I sat at Foster's feet, rubbing them and kissing them until he cried out, "I want Mommy!" I sat up and said "I'm right here, honey!" He replied by saying, "I can't see you!" The nurse got out of the way so I could be by his face where he could see me. I rubbed his tummy, that had been covered by the sheet and smiled, telling him what a good job he was doing. Wesley and I both talked smoothly to him and did our best to get him through it.
Then, it was over. They lifted him up, unwrapped him and he sat in my lap, sucking his thumb, holding his blanket. Welsey kept telling him that the doctor was his friend and we should be thankful to them for helping his head feel all better. Then, Foster softly said, "Thank you," to the doctor and the nurses. It was precious.
Long after we got home and went to bed, I played the whole night over and over in my head. I thought about all the corners and table ends in my house that were waiting to hurt my children. I tossed and turned. My house which once seemed so safe, now felt like a mine field that I was sending my children through each day.
As I laid there in the dark, trying to pray and trying to think of happier days, I remembered my verse. He gathers His lambs and holds them close to His heart. He leads those who have young. And suddenly, like a light bulb going off, all I could think about was how lucky I was that everything went so well. Wesley was home, we didn't have to wait long at the ER, the staff was nice, Foster was calm etc. I thanked Him and gave Him all the glory. I could finally see that as Isaiah 40:11 says, He had been leading us the whole time. What a blessing that we have the God of the Universe to help guide us as parents!
I had no idea, five days earlier that I would need that verse this week. There was no way I could have known what was to come, but He did. God knew how important it was for me to be reminded that He is in control and He loves my children even more than I do. He is watching over them and leading me as their mother. I love how God works! His Word is living and active and so relevant to today. All we have to do is open His Book and read His words and listen to what He has to say. I pray that I never forget how important it is to make time for that!


1 comment:
Glad Foster is okay! I know exactly how helpless you must have felt. This post reminded me of when Kayla broke her leg....the worst night of my life thus far! And not to make light of how dangerous a house can be, but she DID break her leg by falling over a pillow. You just never know! Glad he is alright! And congratulations of the new addition!
Post a Comment