Saturday, September 5, 2009

Life with kids!

Last week we took our annual trip to North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I had all these plans of uploading certain pictures to be posted while we were gone... then our Internet went out that weekend! Needless to say, it has been too long since I have written or posted anything on this blog! As for our vacation, it was wonderful. The weather was so nice, only raining once for about an hour or so and it was after we had gone to the beach for the day. The kids had so much fun and most of all, my sweet husband went a whole week without a migraine. That streak was quickly ended on his first day back at work, which just affirmed our suspicions that his headaches are stress related. Before I go off on that tangent...

I think my favorite story of the week comes from our trip back home. Maybe that's because it is still fresh in my mind or because most germ-a-phob mom's can identify with what happened! Whatever the case, it was a memorable day. We left a little later than we usually do, mainly because Wesley had to return to work the next day and didn't want to be extra tired from getting up at O'dark 30 to drive 8 hours with four kids! Augusta, GA is the midpoint of the drive and we had decided to stop there for lunch. We were both wanting Arby's and none could be found as we drove. Twice Foster said he had to go potty and twice we pulled off the exit, found a restaurant or gas station and both times, Wesley came back to the car to report that Foster couldn't go. We were puzzled because it's not like him to do that. It was also a bit frustrating to go to the whole trouble to stop our car for nothing. About thirty minutes after he said he had to go for the second time, he starts wiggling and is almost in tears saying he has to go potty. I knew-this time he was for real and of course, this time there were no gas stations, no McDonald's, no nothing to stop at. By this time, we had passed out of Augusta and were in the in between stretch to Atlanta. We had unknowingly missed all food exits for about 45 minutes. Luckily, Foster didn't start his potty dance until about 30 minutes into this dry stretch. The two younger boys also had full diapers and everyone was flat out hungry, Sam was crying and Foster is doing his potty dance. By this point we had decided that we'd stop at the next restaurant we could find, no matter what it was, any food was better than no food. We looked at every exit, hoping to see something. Finally we saw the big blue interstate sign that said "Food". As we got closer we started laughing because low and behold, it was something like "Cathy's Truck stop Buffet". We were hungry...but not that hungry! We kept driving when suddenly, like seeing water in the midst of a desert, were the golden arches. Good 'ole McDonald's. We thought the bad times were over. Life was good-Foster could go to the bathroom, I could change those diapers and everyone could eat and stretch their legs.
Well, it didn't take us long to realize that we were not in the best of towns (or that we were in the bad part of town) and this McDonald's had not seen a mop or Clorox wipe or any other kind of cleaning device for a very, very long time. Flies were everywhere inside the building and just opening the door left a nasty, sticky feeling on your hands. I immediately whipped out my antibacterial wipes like a Mad Woman. When Wesley got out of the bathroom with Foster, he said, "I figured out why Foster wouldn't go potty in those other places. He doesn't like dirty toilets!" Wesley had to all but make him go to the bathroom, all the while Foster kept repeating, "I sorry Daddy. I don't like yucky potties!"

So...on to lunch in the fly infested, greasy McDonald's (yum-you know I've got you craving some Micky D's!) I wiped everything down-literally, including the kids hands and we started to eat. We were already getting funny looks from people, just because we are such a big family with three little ones and I was a cleaning feign. Then, to bring even more attention to ourselves, the kids start playing a game that we play at most meal times. It doesn't really have a name, but goes something like this. One person will call out, "Who loves Foster?" and then everyone raises their hands and shouts, "Me!" This usually goes on until they have gone around the table twice. We weren't being very loud, but when I stood up because Sam was getting fussy, you would have laughed at some of the expressions looking my way! We were in our own, little antibacterial bubble, having family time for lunch, not even aware of the other people in the restaurant. For a moment, I got embarrassed, feeling like we looked like the Brady Bunch or something from a TV show long ago when there was actually a thing called Family television that kids could watch. As soon as that feeling started to creep up, I couldn't help but smile at my family. I felt so blessed to be sitting there in that gross restaurant listening to my children sing, "Who loves Mommy!" and all reply "Me!" with happy grins on their faces. These days will pass by so quickly.
After we were all done eating, I had promised the boys that they could see what their toy was in their Happy Meal. It had been a long time since they had had a Happy Meal and they were excited at this surprise of getting a toy with lunch. When we walked in and I had seen that the toy was a Lego's car that you could take apart, I knew they would be excited. Wesley and I were gathering the trash, (being careful not to touch anything that hadn't been wiped down-ha!) when I turned around and there was my Will, sitting on the floor of that nasty place running his car in circles on the floor, making "vrooming" car noises. Wesley and I looked at each other and just started laughing! It was all we could do (for me!) not to just freak out and go buy a can of Lysol from somewhere and spray his whole body, hair, clothes, toy, everything. Kids will be kids no matter where you are! It didn't bother him that there was food on the floor or who knows what else kinds of germs. All he knew was that he had a new car and cars were meant for driving, so he drove it!
I don't think it is a coincidence that the Bible tells us to come to Him like little children. Children can't hide who they are or hide behind some mask of political correctness or feelings. They don't worry about silly things like germs or the chance of bringing home some contagious disease for our whole family to catch (a disease that we will probably never get, but still worry about). When they are happy-you know it, when they are sad or angry-you know. So often we try and hide what is in our hearts and show the world only what we think they want to see. We forget, that God sees. He knows our intentions, our true feelings and who we really are underneath all that makeup and nice clothes. Don't try to hide, be real, He knows when you're not. None of us are perfect. We all fall very short of the glory of God. If only I could try to see life through the eyes of my children. I sure would stress and worry less than I do!
As for beach pictures, I have so many I want to share with you that I thought for the sake of time, I'd space them out over the next few days, trying to group them together in some sort of fashion. I hope you'll check back over the next few days and see them. Here are just a few for now.

No comments: