About this time last year I decided that I was going to start saving my money to buy a professional camera. I have always loved taking pictures and I thought, what better time to have a really good camera then now, when my children are small. I had always wanted one, but could never afford it. I got paid for working in the church nursery some and my dad gave me some money for my birthday. I saved it all in a drawer in my room. I had about $300, which was only about a third of the amount I needed. It was the end of November when I started to feel convicted to use that money for something else. There was a local organization in town who desperately needed people to sponsor families for Christmas. These were families who had nothing and would only receive the presents donated to them. It took me back to a time when I was one of those families. I wasn't so desperate that I couldn't buy anything for my child, but I did need help. My daughters name was added to a Christmas tree that stood in a local store. I remember how blessed I felt when I got my daughters gift. It was a stand up push toy that my children still have today.
Here I was, with this saved money that I desperately wanted to use for myself when I felt God calling me out, reminding me that this money really wasn't mine. I talked with Wesley about it and we decided to sponsor a family and use that money to buy the gifts. We chose a family that had a single mother with two daughters around our kids ages. What a great opportunity for our children to learn about giving. I was on a mission. I spent more time searching online and shopping trying to find the gifts this family wanted. I would call the mother, standing in a store and get her advice of what to buy. I developed a relationship with this sweet, struggling woman. She was a mother, just like I was, wanting to give the best to her girls. She had cancer and could not work due to her health. She lived in a neighborhood where she was in constant fear of being robbed or worse. Her brother lived with her to help keep her safe. It was a whole different world-all just a couple miles from own home. I knew that God was going to use us to show His love for her and to give her hope. I had no idea at the time that God would bless my obedience in ways more than I could imagine.
One morning, I was visiting my mom when I got a call from Wesley. He was driving home from work for lunch and he said he had great news. We got an extra check of his unused sick pay for the last three years! We were flabbergasted! This was so unexpected. I instantly thought that we would use this money to pay off our Visa account, but Wesley felt differently. He told me that he wanted to use the money to buy the camera I had always wanted. He said that we might not get the chance to have this kind of extra money to use for something like that. In reality, it might be ten years before I ever got that camera if I saved what small earnings I brought in. After praying about it and really making sure that it was the right decision, I spent hours researching cameras. Once I had narrowed my choices down to two, I went to Circuit City four different times, just to hold them, trying to decide which one to get. There was a difference in price between the two and I desperately tried to convince myself that I wanted the cheaper of the two. I would go back to that store and tell myself how great the less expensive camera was-which it is a fabulous camera, but it wasn't what my heart really wanted. Finally Wesley sat me down and said, "Marion, if we are going to spend this much money on a camera-get the one you want. Otherwise you are only going to want to buy the upgrade in a few years." What a fabulous husband I have! I was convinced and I ordered the Canon 40d. When it came in the mail I could hardly contain myself! Wesley gave it to me two days before Christmas. He was so excited! He had opened everything and charged the battery to get it all ready for me. He knew that I needed time to figure out how to use it before Christmas morning!
It was a Christmas like I had never experienced before. Since the camera was my one and only gift, I got to sit and simply enjoy watching my family open the gifts I had gotten for them. Usually I am trying to juggle taking pictures with opening my own presents, but this time I didn't feel rushed or stressed. I was so happy and content, soaking up every minute. The highlight of that day was when the mother of the family we had sponsored, called me. She let me listen to her girls squealing over their gifts. Both of them got on the phone to thank us for giving them a Christmas. My cup overflowed. I don't deserve His blessings, yet He freely gives them.
Since receiving my Canon, I have read every photography book in the Columbus library system and looked at so many different photography web sites I've lost count. No joking! Photography is about so much more than pointing a camera and shooting. It's about light, exposure, color and of course, being at the right place at the right time. It took me a long time to take my camera off auto mode. I was so afraid of messing something up. One small change of the settings will dramatically change a photograph. What if I pushed the wrong button? Finally I realized that it was silly for me to have this great camera if I didn't know how to use it. I might as well have saved my money and kept my point and shoot camera. I have taken some Photoshop classes and learned so much about editing pictures. I am always amazed when I learn how far the photography business has come in the last five years. I REALLY couldn't have afforded a professional camera and all the equipment they required, just a few years ago. Digital has really revolutionized the industry.
After nine months of learning and experimenting, and most importantly, LOTS of prayer, I've decided to start a side photography business. I have learned what it means to find something you love and then figure out a way to make money from it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE photography. I would almost pay someone else to let me take their picture, I love it so much! I have had a few photo shoots over the last three months and I feel like a child on Christmas morning. I always pray that God will help me and be my guide. I struggled for a while, wondering if this was the path God had chosen for me. He has given me a love to write, but since getting this camera, my time has been spent more in photography than writing. I spent time in prayer, trying to surrender my own desires to find out His will for my life. What if satan was using this as a distraction from God's will of writing? Everyday I had a battle in my mind. It was as if I had a voice in my head telling me I wasn't good enough, I had to take more classes, practice more. I could never take as good a photographs as so and so. I was constantly beating myself up, telling myself I was not good enough to start a business. I was afraid that I'd look like a fool and be a laughing stock. My great friend Victoria reminded me that this passion came from the Lord and He can use my camera, just as much as He can use my pen or my keyboard to write. My mom mentioned one day how I've always loved colors and been good at picking out the different shades of something. I was only 13 years old when I picked out the carpet for my parents house. My mom would tote me to these carpet stores, asking my opinion. She would pick out a carpet sample and I could tell her if it had too much pink in it or the shade of brown wouldn't match the furniture. In junior high school I thought I might grow up to be an interior decorator because I loved colors so much. God reminded me that even from a child He was preparing me for this chapter in my life. There have been so many times that I'll be editing a photograph and I'll realize the skin is too red or I'll have to figure out the right adjustment of the shadows in the background. I can adjust each color in the rainbow spectrum in Photoshop. All of that love of color comes to play in my photography. I never realized that before my mom said it.
Every photo shoot I've gone on, I covered it in prayer, asking God to help me see through my lens and capture a photograph that the family can cherish years down the road. I also pray that if this is not God's will or His timing, that He'll show me. Every shoot I've done, my kids have been great, especially Samuel. That tells me something! I always worry that he'll cry the whole time I'm gone and be miserable (or make Wesley miserable!). When I'm on a photo shoot-he's been great! I have also been amazed at the people God has placed in my path; some who have been in the business for a long time and can offer loads of advice and knowledge and others who are just starting out and we are able to help one another. I used to think that it would be fun to deliver flowers. You'd get to see surprise and wonder, love and joy in the faces of those who opened the door. God has shown me that I can see all of that when I see my friends and family look at the pictures I've taken. I can give them a gift that will remind them of all the many blessings He has given them and in the end, I am blessed beyond measure because I am able to do something that I love and I'm passionate about.
I have learned so much hands on, these last few months. I soon saw that there is much more time involved than just taking the pictures, you also have to factor in the time spent editing and sorting through all of them. I will put my camera on fast shooting mode so I can shoot lots of pictures really fast, which is really great to use with small children. If I'm outside, I will often use a setting that will take pictures in groups of three, under exposing the first photograph, then over exposing it and lastly, using the normal exposure. That being said, I can easily end up with 200-400 pictures in a 60 minute shoot. It takes a long time going through that many photographs to see which ones to keep and which to discard. Then comes the editing process, which can take hours, depending on the photo session. I have learned a lot and I know that like it is with anything in life-it's a process and I'll continue to learn as I go.
I have spent hours looking up what photographers in the local area charge. I was surprised by how expensive it is. I had to ask myself if I would pay that much for someone to take my picture. I was talking to my sister who lives in Washington. She said her friend spent $850 just for a disk of pictures with the printing rights! Are you kidding me? $850 and you didn't even buy a single print yet? I could never in my right mind, EVER, charge that much. I decided to start out charging less than the average in this area and figured as I gain more experience, I can always work my way up (but never to that much :). I set out to create a web site and figure out what my overhead would be. I could hear my words come back to slap me as I had talked about how much money the photographer made for my brothers wedding. I had only been looking at the cost to print each photo and at the difference in what he charged. I slowly saw that there were more costs involved than I had originally realized. I was constantly asking the Lord to show me a sign that will let me know when to upgrade my current web site to the professional level, allowing me to be able to make my own prices for my photos. I know that it takes money to make money, but I struggle with how much money to pour into this before I know that I'll at least break even. Out of the blue, a woman that used to go to my church years ago saw some of my pictures on Facebook. She called me a few days ago, asking if I'd take individuals and a group picture for her son's soccer team. I'm taking that as my "sign" to move forward in this endeavor and we'll see what the future holds.
So here, I am, throwing myself out there. You can see my work at http://www.marionsphotography.smugmug.com/ or click on the link at the top of my blog. I decided I'd post some of my favorites from the recent photo sessions I've done. These are just a very small few of the photograph's that came from each shoot.
Little Abigail 4 weeks old
Little Abigail 3 months old

2 comments:
Oh Marion...i don't have words. What a gift you have and what a blessing! Wow. God is so good.
I came to your blog from the I Heart Faces contest; wow! what a wonderful encouraging spirit God has given you as you share His Word to others and encourage them in Christ. I was so blessed as I ready your various posts! I wanted to encourage you and let you know that you are talented, and God will bless you as you server Him with your photography work. Although I'm not a professional photographer, I enjoy it and aspire to be one day. I recently did two photo shoots for a family that are good friends of ours, and the first shoot did not go well. I was not happy with the results. The second time I did the shoot, I prayed over it beforehand so God would bless it. I knew that if He did, my friends would be so happy with the results. What a difference it was as I relied on the Lord the 2nd time; and they were so excited as they viewed the photos of their daughter. Anyway, God can use you and your talents as a photographer to bring so much blessing to families. Thanks again for sharing Christ with all of us and being such a blessing!
Brad
http://bradjollyphotography.wordpress.com
Post a Comment