The road is hard. The sun is hot, beating down overhead. You begin to feel a small trickle of sweat run down your back. You squint your eyes, looking ahead hoping to see what the trail looks like around the bend. You try to stay focused, you try to concentrate. Just a little bit farther, just a little bit farther.
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me,
if only I may finish the race and complete the task
the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying
to the gospel of God's grace.
Acts 20:24
Suddenly your eye happens to turn to the runner beside you. Her lane looks smoother, not as bumpy as yours. You begin to wonder why you didn't get to go in that lane. Why are you stuck on this rough, bumpy, hilly road, instead of on that smooth trail? What did she do to deserve that lane that you hadn't done?
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11
You try to focus, you try to look ahead, but your eyes begins to wander again from your own lane. You happen to notice the runner next to you has a shoe lace that is untied and is flapping in the wind. He could fall and hurt himself! Why won't he stop and tie his shoe? Does he know the dangers of running full speed with an untied shoe lace? Suddenly you get this Great Samaritan Idea. You can tie his shoe for him! You can fix his problem and make it all better!
You turn into his lane, running along side him , bunched over as you try to grab his shoe lace. He begins to yell, asking what on earth you are doing and telling you to get out of his way. Instead of helping him win the race, now you are hindering him.
You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and
kept you from obeying the truth?
That kind of persuasion does not come
from the One who calls you.
Galatians 5:7-8
Angry, you go back to your own lane, only now you are the one who is behind, now you are the one who has been left. Everyone else has their eye on the prize. Everyone else is running the race at their own speed, in their own lane, all with the same goal; To win the race.
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me
the crown of righteousness,
which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day
—and not only to me, but also to all who
have longed for his appearing.
2 Timothy 4:7-8
Life is hard and it is not fair. There is no doubt about it. At times it may seem easier to look at someone elses race and wish it were your own, rather than accept the path God has laid out for you. I wish I had a house as big as theirs. I wish I had his job. Why can't I have that many children? I wish I could sing like her. Why can't I have her patience? On and on we go, wishing our lives away-wanting to be in someone elses shoes...in someone elses lane. I encourage you, in this new year to run the race He has for YOU, for YOUR life. In the words of my wise Bible study teacher, "My race is not your race-and that's how God intended it!" I promise you that His path is so much better than any other trail you could follow.
... let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3

No comments:
Post a Comment