Tuesday, October 9, 2007

This Little Light of Mine

Last night my hubby and I watched our new favorite show-Hero's. It is one of those kinds of shows that has just enough surprises to make you watch the next week. It sometimes ends a little creepy (I guess is the word). I am not one to be afraid of the dark, but whenever I watch something (creepy) right before I go to bed, I have a hard time falling asleep in my dark room!

Last night as I lay there, listening to my husbands soft breathing and staring at the ceiling, I thought about how different my room looks in the dark. Shadows are cast along the walls and its hard to see where everything is. You start to hear noises and wonder what they are. Things don't appear the same way they do in the light.

Remember when you were a child and you had to get up to go to the bathroom? You'd run to get there (making sure the boogie man under your bed didn't get you first!) and you'd turn on the light. All of a sudden it wasn't so scary anymore.

I realized last night, that is how the world is all the time. People are suffering from addiction, depression, anger, frustration, on and on I could go. They live in fear. They can't just run to the bathroom and turn on the light because the light they need must come from within. They can't dodge the boogie man under their bed because surely satan has already attached himself to their backs and they just can't shake him.

We are their only hope. We are here to bring them closer to the One True Light-the only One who can defeat their enemy.

So often I don't hide my light under a bush (as the song goes), but under busyness, under lack of patience or under anything else that makes me forget-I am light. You can lose your whole testimony by a single word, standing in the pharmacy line, being impatient. The world is watching and waiting for you to mess up. Satan is on the prowl hanging on for dear life to the necks of those around you, whispering in their ear, "Look at her-and she says she's a christian! She's no different than you!" We must not forget to let our light shine. Our role is so vital to this important adventure we are in.

Can they see it? Can they see your light as you pump your gas or as you pay for your groceries? Is it shining as you wait at the red light or get handed another long assignment? It is your light that will draw them closer to shaking the devil on their back. It is your light that will bring them closer to the One who can save them from the depths of hell. Your light...so go...let your light shine!

"You are the salt of the earth.
But if the salt loses its saltiness,
how can it be made salty again?
It is no longer good for anything,
except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
You are the light of the world.
A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
Neither do people light a lamp
and put it under a bowl.
Instead they put it on its stand
and it gives light to everyone in the house.
In the same way,
let your light shine before men,
that they may see your good deeds
and praise your Father in heaven."
~Matthew 5:13-16

No comments: