Friday, October 12, 2007

F-A-L-L Is In The Air!


Can I just say, I L-O-V-E this cool, fall weather! Yesterday I turned off the air and opened all the windows. My children played in the backyard most of the afternoon. I even cooked in my kitchen and didn't get hot because of the cool breeze flowing in my kitchen windows. Granted, the weatherman says this cool weather may be gone by tomorrow, but what can you expect living in the South!

There is something exciting about the weather changing, no matter what season it is. When I start to feel the cool air, I know that Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming soon. I know that there will be many days of sipping hot chocolate and snuggling under heavy blankets. I know that coffee will smell even better in the mornings. I know that hot, beef stew and pot roast with carrots and potatoes will be added to my weekly menu. I don't have to worry about sweating or going outside and smelling like "yard" (as my friend Shannon says) when I come back inside. Saturday mornings feel so much sweeter, getting to stay in the warm bed for a few minutes longer than normal. My husband won't have to spend his day off, cutting our grass (that's why he loves this time of year!) I know cute pictures of kids in hats and rosy cheeks with big smiles is a given. I know I'll get to enjoy watching my Lords beautiful color palette as the colors change from green to red and orange to brown. I know Fantasy in Lights at Callaway Gardens might be in our future. I think of big fires in my fireplace as my family and I sit around playing cards or Sorry or Life with Randol. In a way it feels like the end of an era and the start of a new one. You can start to feel the excitement in the air of knowing the holidays are coming soon. It is such a great time to be alive!
Have you ever thought about why the weather changes and the sun goes down sooner at night time? Why the grass all dies and most animals are missing from your yard? Is it a coincidence? Does it happen by chance? Is it apart of some weird ecological goof?

It is all apart of His big plan. The seasons have been changing since Noah in Genesis.

"As long as the earth endures,
seed time and harvest,
cold and heat,
summer and winter,
day and night
will never cease."
Genesis 8:22

God is still on the throne. He is still in control of not just the weather, but of the happenings of our lives. The next time you feel that cool breeze on your face or watch the golden leaves trickle down from the tree tops, remember-He is in control. All of those things are happening because He wills it. He loves to show off His glory! I just pray I don't miss it!

No comments: