Thursday, October 18, 2007

Anytime, Anywhere

The other night Wesley and I were sitting on the couch talking about our day. Somehow a recent political situation came up. I started telling him all my plans to make sure a certain individual doesn't get re-elected next year. He laughed at how hard I had thought about it. Then he told me that he had thought about it too and he had his own plan, but that it was much different than mine. I tried to figure out what he could do that I hadn't thought of. I asked him, "What is your plan?"

"P-R-A-Y"

That was his response! That was his big plan. He was going to pray about it and leave the end result up to God! I laughed at how stupid I had been. I felt a little ashamed to admit- I hadn't even thought of that or incorporated it into my plan!

How many times does life hit us where it hurts and we go about trying to fix it in our human capacity? And how many times do we fail? I tend to forget that I can approach the throne of God with confidence, anytime I want. I can unload my busy days and leave it all to Him to work out as He wills. Part of my humanly mind says," I have to do more than just pray." Then I think about it-who is it I am praying too? Is it some idol sitting on a shelf? Is it some human that will surely fail me? NO, it is my Heavenly Father, the creator of Heaven and Earth. The One who has my best interests at heart. How can I not approach His throne and then completely walk away-leaving it all to Him?

This morning I read in Matthew about the woman who was healed just by touching the edge of Jesus' cloak (Matthew 9:20-22). She knew that was all she needed to do. She didn't need Him to touch her or to even talk to her. He was so powerful that just by touching a piece of His clothing, healed her.

Then there was the the centurion who asked Jesus to heal his servant. Jesus offered to go to his home and heal the man. The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word and my servant will be healed." (Matthew 8:8)

Think about what power that is-Jesus said the word and in a house a few miles away, a servant was being healed. He didn't touch him, He didn't even see this man, but the centurion knew how powerful Jesus was. He had faith that Jesus could do it.

Just as these men and women had faith to go to Jesus when they needed Him, we must also have the faith to go to Him in prayer and trust that He knows what is best for us. All our doing just gets in the way of His Almighty plans for our lives. How blessed we are that we can go to Him anytime-anywhere!

"Let us then approach the throne of grace
with confidence, so that we may
receive mercy and find grace to help us
in our time of need."
~Hebrews 4:16

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite remeinders of God's protection is the Book of Ruth. I always think of Babbie Masons song with the words "we see the present clearly, but HE sees the first and the last". Really almost more about Naomi, she had left her home, then lost her sons and husband in the new land, all she had left was two daughters-in-law. In a day when the men-folk took care of them she had nothing. But GOD had plans for daughter-in-law Ruth that took care of Naomi as well plus produced grandchildren and put them in lineage of Our Lord Jesus Christ, what a wonderful God he is. Love Aunt Kay

connorcolesmom said...

Marion,
Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog.
I have received such encouragement from God over the past few days. He confirmed I am to finish the study and hold my head up.
I think things are looking better.
Thank you,
Kim