Wednesday, April 16, 2008

When it's All Said and Done

Yesterday afternoon I went to the funeral of a friends father. My sweet sister-in-law offered to watch my children so that I could go. After driving about 20 minutes outside of town to get to her house, it took me a little longer than I'd hoped to get the kids settled before I could leave. There was no way I was going to leave her with crying babies! On the way back into town, I was running late and trying to relax. I turned up the radio a little to see what was playing and what would you know-it was "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me. How appropriate! I'm driving to a funeral, imagining what it's like in heaven, while this man doesn't have to imagine ever again!

I walked into a filled church moments before it started. It was such a beautiful service. Our old pastor who started our church over 50 years ago talked. He ended his speech by telling us that when he dies, he wants there to be a party. He said, "I can't wait! There are some people I want to speak to up there!" with such joy in his eyes. He started listing members of his family and friends that he had lost. His best friend had died in World War 2, his father had passed when he was only 10 years old and he "was a daddy's boy if there ever was one!" Before I knew it, tears were running down my face as I soaked up his joy. I could almost feel as though I'd caught a glimpse of heaven; to be surrounded by so much love and joy. He finished his list by saying, "And I really can't wait to get to see the face of Jesus; To thank Him for what He did for me and to just sit at his feet and talk to Him." I was taken back to that song on my drive into town, "I can only imagine, what it will be like when I walk by Your side. Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel? Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still? Will I stand in Your presence or to my knees will I fall? Will I sing Hallelujah? Will I be able to speak at all? I can only imagine!"

After my husband and I left the church, on our way back to pick up our children, we passed a wreck where a truck had flipped upside down. It didn't look like anyone was hurt, but it made me think about how short this life is and how much of it we waste. We get our priorities all out of whack; we work longer, stay focused the things of this world. We keep a mile long "to do" list that never gets done. We worry over whether it will rain or if it will be too hot. We lay awake at night losing sleep over countless, "what if" scenarios.

As the old saying goes, "The only two certainties in life are death and taxes!" We are all going to die one day, only God knows when it will be. There is no escaping death of this fleshly body. Have you ever thought about what people will say once your gone? What will you leave behind? Will there be a long line at your funeral of people you touched, like there was yesterday? Have you been living your life the way Christ wants you too?

If not, you have another chance, it is a new day today! You have the chance to make this world a better place and to serve the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind. You have another chance to make Him proud and store up your treasures in heaven, where moth and dust cannot destroy them. Those are the things we need to be focused on. For one day, you will stand at heavens gate and God's servant will look for your name in the Book of Life to see if you may enter and behold those golden streets that looks like transparent glass and walk through the 12 gates of heaven that were made from 12 single pearls (Revelation 21:21). If you are a child of God and you get to finally look your Savior in the face, will He say, "Well done my good and faithful servant?" Oh, my friend, the things of this world don't compare to that!

"His Master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share in my happiness!'"
Matthew 25:21
"Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is coming with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."
Revelation 22:12-13


No comments: