Yesterday I attempted to do something I've never done before -cut a little boys hair! Foster was in desperate need of a haircut. We have only taken him to a Barber shop one time-it was a nightmare. He was kicking and screaming until he couldn't scream anymore (all while sitting in his daddy's lap!) For his second haircut, I took him to my friend Victoria's house. It was amazing! He sat on the stool, watched part of Happy Feet, eating some cereal and barely moved while she cut his hair. I asked Victoria earlier this week if she'd have time to cut his hair again. We are going out of town soon and wanted it done before then. She said she would, for me to call and she'd "work us in". I could see how unbelievably busy she was so I decided, I had three choices-I could wait and see if Victoria had more time next week or (since I didn't think I'd have time to do it next week) he could go to the Barber shop with Wesley on Saturday or I could save myself $12 and the drama and just do it myself.
I decided to go with the last choice. I have to admit-you can definitely tell I cut it :-) but it doesn't look so horrible that I'm going to make him wear a hat when we go anywhere! Wesley keeps saying, "It looks fine Marion-he looks like a little boy!" which in my mind says, "Well, it's not too horrible, but boy can you tell a professional didn't cut it!" And I thought, "What was I thinking? I should have waited for Victoria!" It's...second best.

I got to thinking, isn't that what we settle for when we don't wait for God and go out trying to do it all on our own? We settle for second best, not His best, but the world's best. So many times I get impatient with God. I want it done right now, my way or no way and so I give up on Him and take matters into my own hands. How many blessings have I missed out on by doing that? I can just see Him shaking His head saying, "Here she goes again, if she'd only just wait, she'd see what I am doing!" There's an old poem that I love and that really hits home the whole "Letting Go and Letting God" issue.
It goes like this:
It goes like this:As children bring their broken toys,
with tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God,
because He is my friend.
But then instead of leaving Him
in peace to work alone,
I hung around and tried to help,
with ways that were my own.
At last, I snatched them back again
and cried, "How can you be so slow?"
"My child," He said, "What could I do?
You never did let go."
If only it was as simple as getting a haircut! I'm learning, but I'll keep striving to JUST LET IT GO!!!
(Here are a few pic's of before and after Foster's first haircut back in May)

2 comments:
Aw, that first picture is precious! Great post, btw. I think we're all guilty of going down that road of being impatient with God's timing. And yes, we risk missing His best for us in doing so.
Honestly though? I don't think you could make Foster look "bad." Good haircut or not, he's just too adorable. I cut my Reece's hair regularly (my mom taught Cosmetology for 20 years and owned her own shop for 10; we moved away two years ago and that ended our visits to the only hairdresser we've ever known.) It looks terrible compared with my mom's skilled cuts, but it's not so bad that he looks like HE did it, lol.
Found you on CWO. Stop by sometime. My bloggy door is always open.
Blessings,
~Toni~
Ok, girl!!
I am home all day today and you can come out to see how bad it REALLLLYY is. We can look to see if it needs anything, really, come out. I will call in a little while when the kids get up, it's Saturday!
What A lesson God has in everything if we will just listen.
V
Post a Comment