Thursday, August 30, 2007

No Longer Divided

Teach me your way, O Lord and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. ~ Psalm 86:11

How divided are our hearts? Life gives us so much to handle, so much to process, at times its hard to keep up. I feel at times like my life is divided between wife, teacher, mother, cook, taxi driver, maid, student and on and on I could go. So much to do, so little time. I need to sit and ask the Lord to "teach me His ways" so that I can continue to "walk in His truths".

Our hearts should never be divided. We can be many things to many people, but never all things to all people, only God can be that. We must ask Him to give us an undivided heart. A heart fully devoted to Him and to His agenda-not our own. The circumstances in my life may not change (nor do I really want them too), but my heart can change how I see those circumstances. I can praise my God while washing dishes or changing diapers. I can thank Him for the food He provides for my table and for the kitchen floor I have to mop. Do you live with an ongoing, reverence or fear for Your God? So often I think we ask Him why our lives cannot be different or "if you'd only give me a bigger house or a bigger paycheck..." and on and on our requests go. How often do we ever really stop and thank Him, stop and realize how abundantly blessed we are; stop and stand in awe of our God?

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I have been taking the time to realize it lately. Most recently, I took my 3 boys for a walk around Lake Heath. They were ahead of me on the trail, and I thought as I watched them (Nathan holding Ephraim's back protectively, as he is prone to do, until I noticed him and he quickly let go!)... I thought. "This is it. It just doesn't get any better than this..." Most importantly, we are not promised one minute past the one we're in; so it's important not to look away for a second!