
My 20 month old son Foster is obsessed with light switches, closing doors and seeing how things work. One of his favorite things to do is push a chair up to the washing machine and watch the clothes and the water go around and around. I have to admit, there have been many days where I'll need to get something done around the house and to "entertain" him, I will throw in a load of towels so he can watch them go round and round for 20 minutes.
Monday was "Laundry Day" and while he was being good standing guard over my clothes, I was checking email. After about 5-10 minutes when he was still being quiet I went to check on him. He looked up at me excitedly and said his one word, "See!" pointing to the washing machine. I looked in and there were his shoes and a handful of his cereal going round and round as he watched. Then to make sure I shared in the excitement he threw in another handful of cereal he had in his hand! I had to run the clothes through the rinse cycle twice to get all the mushy cereal out!
Then later that day I had just bought a new Kleenex box of 260 tissues. As I am in my room folding laundry I come into the kitchen and he is sitting on the floor with every single Kleenex on the floor wiping his nose one by one with a huge pile of tissues everywhere!
Yesterday we were at my moms house where there are people everywhere and he somehow managed to find the (brand new) bottle of gas drops. He took the lid off and of course, dumped the bottle upside down all over the floor leaving a sticky mess behind!
It is in these moments I have to remind myself not to get mad or angry. He's learning how the world works, what things look like and feel and taste like. I know these are stories I will share with him one day when he has children. I'm sure I'll probably have 100 more by that point! He makes me realize that it's ok to slow down and analyze something, it's ok to enjoy life and not keep going, going, going all the time. In the end getting angry or frustrated doesn't solve anything, all you can really do is laugh!
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:...a time to weep and a time to laugh"~Ecc.3:1,4PS~ I know there are many moms and dads who read this blog. I would love to hear some of your funny stories that your children did! Please feel free to share!

2 comments:
Charles used to call Ephraim "Mr. Get-Into-Stuff." Looks like there's a new winner of that title! In everything I've ever heard and/or experienced about children getting into stuff in the last decade... I have NEVER heard of a child throwing cereal in the laundry! What a hoot! (At least in retrospect, if not at the moment...!) What COULD you do besides laugh???!!! Love, Samantha
I don't know if this classifies as funny, but Cason just learned how to climb out of his crib. Now bedtime and naptimes are a bit of a challenge. What IS funny is that Jimmy caught him on tape, so we got to see the little monkey in action. I can't wait to see what he will think of next.
Post a Comment