Friday, July 20, 2007

Time to Jump

On Beth Moore's blog she said something that has got me thinking. She said that, "He who turns water into wine, turns wimps into warriors. You have a ministry. Go and fulfill it!"

I have a friend who took a huge leap of faith. I'm talking, close-your-eyes-jump- off-the-cliff-holding-hands-with-your-husband-and-children-and-KNOW-that- He-is-going-to-sweep-you-in-His-arms kind of leap. The kind of jump that will only bring Him glory. Recently, something happened that made her "jump" not turn out like she thought. Does that mean that God isn't in it? Does that mean she jumped, risking everything on something that wasn't in His will?

Absolutely not! It means He's God and we aren't. Just because you step out on faith, doesn't mean things will turn out the way you want or the way you expect. It means that God will receive His glory, His way, not ours.

On another note, how many times does God tell us to do something and we tell Him we can't? Last year my husband and I were in our church Christmas production. We played husband and wife which was fun, but there was a catch...we had to sing a duet. I agonized, worried, told God I could not do it. I imagined Simon Cowell from American Idol sitting in the audience saying, "What were you thinking? You can never show your face in this church again!" It ended up being fine, not great, but not horrible. I knew He was teaching me something, He was teaching me to trust and to just let go of fear.

About a month or two after the christmas show a lady in our church came up to me and said there was a song she wanted sung during the worship service. She said she tried to sing it, but it wasn't in her range. She prayed and God told her to ask me to sing it! I was touched-but scared to death. I'd like to tell you that the next Sunday I jumped on stage and sung my heart out....but that would be a lie. Here I am five months later and I still have the cd in my car. Don't get me wrong, I now know the song by heart, but I have yet to step foot on the stage to actually sing it. She emailed me the other day asking for her cd back! I'm so ashamed!

So many times I have put limits on an infinite, limitless God. He wants me to go the distance with Him, He wants me to trust Him...He wants me to jump. It sounds stupid, many would say get up there and sing the stupid song. To me, its not that easy and He knows it. He knows that the only way I can do it is with Him. I gotta believe that He can turn this wimp into His warrior.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,"declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
~Isaiah 55:8-9

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I took the jump. I know God will grow me through this, but I must admit I've never cared much for growing pains! I wish Tylenol would help, but it won't. The only thing I want to do right now is seek God and take care of my family. At the moment, I'm listening to "Jesus, Lover of my Soul" sung by Darlene Zscech right now, over and over, and it is so comforting.

I want you to see the view from the back yard God has provided. I thought I'd be seeing God's majesty in another place when I took the jump; but He has comforted me by giving me a beautiful view of his majesty right here down south. I can't wait to sit looking out my window at the view God has given me while I sip coffee and do my Bible study. It's a place where I can just be still and seek Him...

Ironically, we found an old VHS tape today of a duet we sang 11 years ago, when we were engaged. I laughed and said, "Yeah, that was before Lance knew I couldn't sing!" I was scared to death, too; but we did it and I think it touched a lot of people. Despite my voice being just slightly out of tune, we got a standing ovation. I think it was because of the message... our skit and song were about a young couple just starting out... and it spoke to everyone. Everybody has a moment when they're just starting out... even if it was 50 years ago!

I'm bummed I didn't hear you sing! Got a tape? I'll show you my tape if you show me yours! Actually, in 11 years I've never watched my tape. I'm afraid it will be too painful to listen to myself try to hit those high notes!

You must not have done badly, Marion. Even with my standing ovation, I noticed Lance never asked me to sing again... You were asked to sing again!

It's funny that I found my tape the same day I read about you singing.

Love, S