Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Right Where I Am

About a month ago, I was driving to the orthodontist office. I could feel my stress level rising as Will was screaming at the top of his lungs, Foster was kicking the passenger seat and Randol was trying to read me something out of her animal magazine from the way back seat of our van. All I could think of was "This is going to be a nightmare, how am I going to be able to do this?" I was stopped at a red light and out of no where I thought, "He knows right where I am. Nothing can get to me before it goes through Him first," and this gentle, calming peace passed over me. It ended up not being a nightmare, Will went to sleep in his car seat within 5 minutes and Foster sat and looked at books.

Well yesterday...was a nightmare. I took Foster to the doctor to see if he had an ear infection (which he did). He was already tired and it was lunch time and we had to wait TWO HOURS before the doctor came into the room. As I'm standing there holding Will in the baby sling while Foster is screaming and trying to climb up my back to get away from the doctor I thought, "He knows right where I am. Let it all go," and once again, the calming peace filled my soul in the middle of the doctors office. How assuring it is to know that He knows right where I am, watching over me and waiting to call out to Him in the tiny moments of my day. He cares about all those small things that matter to me. Nothing is too small or too large for God.

Many years ago my mothers best friend lost her husband and was left to raise 5 very small children on her own. She has countless stories of all the tiny things God took care of for her. One day she was looking around her house and wondering how she was ever going to have time to clean up. Within minutes her phone rang and it was a lady from her church saying that she had hired a housekeeper to come once a week!

When I was a small child, we didn't have alot of money. We ran out of milk one day and my mother in a desperate plea to herself said,"I need milk!". Within minutes our phone rang and the lady up the street said she accidentally bought an extra gallon of milk without realizing it and wondered if we needed any!

Most people would say it was a coincidence, but I say it was God. To the world a lot of this stuff is small, but He knows how important it is to me. I have learned that it is just as important to cry out to Him in those small, stressful moments of my day, than it is to cry out when something huge happens in my life. He is watching and waiting to meet me right where I am.

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests."
~Ephesians 6:18a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your post today, Marion! I have had many "right where I am" moments and they mean the most to me because they show me God is REAL!

Love,
Betty

KimEtzel84 said...

I love that story about the milk! Your mom told me that story when I was in her SS class, and I have told it a 1000 times to others. The other day, Chad IMed me while he was at work b/c he's dealing with a problem. I told him to pray and God would help him through it. He didn't think this tiny problem was worthy of prayer, so I simply said "remember the Milk Story?"